龍 07 龙

Ruolan silently laughed as Liangqi missed another shot.

- Lady Yue. If you wish, I could give you some advantages. You can get off your horse and get as close as you want to the target while I shoot from here.

- Shut up! Lady Yue yelled.

She took another arrow and pulled the string, aiming at the target. She heard whispers of people mocking her and praising Ruolan's ability, feeling humiliated.

Just when she was about to let the arrow loose, anger took the best of her and she turned to Ruolan.

The arrow missed her and hit the horse's leg, making it shriek from pain. The beast started jumping and running around, the pain being unbearable.

Roulan tightly gripped the horse's neck. Falling could cost her death after all. She yelled and called for help. Some servants tried to control the horse, but it was too scared to let them approach it.

- Get away, a male voice yelled.

Everybody backed away as the man stood in the middle of the arena. The horse charged at him but he didn't budge.

He waited until he was close enough, then pushed himself back to let the horse pass by him. He grabbed the arrow and pulled it back from the horse's leg. The animal shrieked once again and charged at him. He tricked him again to pass by him then grabbed the reins and jumped on top of the horse, getting behind Ruolan.

Her eyes widened and she moved from surprise, almost falling. He quickly grabbed her waist and got her close to him.

- Stay still, he ordered her.

She didn't utter a word, her heart pounding hard because of the fear, but also the closeness of the man.

He pulled the reins and quickly took control of the beast.

The horse soon calmed down, exhausted. It soon stopped and General Wang got off it.

- Lady Yue, he coldly approached her. You created a huge commotion that threatened someone's life and caused a horse from the palace injury. Do you know how grave it is?

- Longwei, she trembled from fear. I didn't mean to. I was just-

- We shall let His Majesty decide on that matter, he stopped her.

Ruolan got off the horse. She had trouble standing up, feeling dizzy.

- Ruolan! Her two brothers ran to her.

- Are you okay?

- Can you walk?

- Do you want me to pick you up?

- Do you want to go home?

- I'm dizzy, not dying, Ruolan tried to calm them down.

- Thank you so much, General Wang, Ruoyun bowed to him. You saved my sister.

- I only did what needed to be done, the General answered.

- If you excuse us, we shall take our leave, the eldest son bowed once again.

The two brothers helped their sister get back to their carriage. Ruolan's face went pale as soon as she saw her mother's angry yet quiet composure.

You're so getting in tonight, Ruolan ...

General Wang was about to get the horse back to get treated when Lady Yue stopped him.

- Please Longwei, she begged. Help me with His Majesty.

- You should have thought about that before acting recklessly, he said without sparing her a glance.

As he looked away, his eyes fell on a little shiny object on the ground.

- Longwei, the Second Princess approached them. We are family, no need to be so strict. Liangqi might become your wife in the future. You should-

- I'm sorry to disappoint Her Highness, but I never talked about having an engagement with Lady Yue. And I will never. Please stop saying such things in public. It could ruin both our reputations.

He grabbed the object, took the horse, and went away, leaving the two girls frustrated and embarrassed.

He handed the horse to a servant, ordering him to get a vet to treat it.

He looked at the object, which turned out to be a jade pendant.

- Ruolan, he read the name engraved on it. So this is how it's written ...

He put the pendant in his pocket then left to his duties.