龍 20 龙

Wuxian looked at the two men with a horrified look. 

Longwei had never hit them before. He would yell and punish them, but never touch them.

- Why are you not fighting for her? Longwei asked in a dangerously calm tone.

- Master-

- Why did you never tell me anything? Longwei cut Song off. I may be your general, but we are brothers before that. It would be best if you had told me. It would be best if you had asked me for my help. You shouldn't have let her down!

From the way he talked, Song understood that Longwei knew.

- Do you think you are the only one who is hurting? Longwei continued. I have heard her cry for you. I have seen the way her eyes sadden when you're around. I had witnessed her world crumble when the doctor told us you might not make it when you got stabbed. I ...

He breathed out, calming himself down.

- I have also watched the way you look at her. I know that you always check on her to make sure she is safe. I heard you talk about her on your parent's grave. And ... I heard you both that night.

Song's eyes widened. Longwei knew more than he expected. Memories of Yuanqian's birthday months ago flashed in his mind at the avocation of that night.

- Song? Yuanqian warmly smiled at him. What are you doing here alone?

- I'm just ... Thinking.

He was standing in the garden with his hands crossed, looking at the stars that shone bright at night.

- I can't believe I'm fifteen now, Yuanqian pouted. Mother said she would start giving me new lessons and teach me the household stuff since I'm old now.

- You wish to stay younger? He looked at her who was staring at the fountain's water flows.

- No, but I wish I could grow without getting more responsibilities, she giggled.

He smiled to himself then looked at the fountain. They silently stood together, appreciating the moment shared.

- Your Highness, he nervously coughed. This is for you.

He took a beautiful necklace from his pocket and handed it to her. She happily took it and placed it around her neck.

- How is it? She showed him.

- It's beautiful, he smiled.

- It is! I love it a lot. Thank you, Song!

- It ... Belonged to my mother. I want you to have it.

Her eyes widened as she carefully caressed the pendant.

- Why are you giving me something this precious? 

- Because ... I can not give you more than this.

Her eyes slowly widened. She looked away, knowing what he was about to say.

- Yuanqian ...

She closed her eyes. The way he said her name held so much love yet so much pain.

- I am aware of the feelings you harbor for me and grateful to the heavens that my love isn't one-sided. To have loved and been loved by a precious soul like yours is the most valuable gift life gave me. But we can not force fate. You are a princess and Longwei's sister. I am just one of his men. Him and His Majesty will never agree to it.

- Song-

- I know that my heart will be haunted by you for the rest of my life. And I would gladly let you have it. But I don't deserve yours. This necklace ... May never get an owner if I keep it. So have it as proof of my loyalty to you and a reminder that I will always be behind you to protect you. So forget about me and meet someone who deserves your love.

Tears streamed down her face as his words pierced her heart. 

How he wished to hug her and comfort her. But reason won over.

- Take care of yourself, Your Highness, he bowed before turning away.

Wuxian quietly stared at them, confused. For once, he didn't dare to open his mouth.

- Tomorrow, we are asking His Majesty for her hand.

- What? Song jumped.

- His Majesty? Wuxian furrowed his eyebrows. Why him?

- Because I will never accept someone else as my brother-in-law.

*****

- Thank you so much once again for taking care of our daughter, General Feng bowed to the Emperor. I owe you my life.

The Feng family bowed then headed to their carriage.

Ruolan kept quiet, her mother's letter had cooled her down.

On their way, they encountered General Wang and his two men.

- General wang, her father smiled. I'm glad to meet you. I wanted to thank you for saving my daughter. This is the second time already.

- I did what I had to do, General Feng.

He turned to look at Ruolan, who was wearing his cape. He coughed, hiding the little smile that was taking place on his lips.

She looked away, embarrassment taking over her as she remembered the way she cried in his arms.

- Are you heading to the Imperial Hall? Mr. Feng asked.

- Yes. We have an audience with His Majesty.

Song nervously cracked his knuckles repeatedly.

- We should get going, Longwei said.

They bowed to each other then walked to the hall where The Emperor was sitting alone.

The three men walked then knelt in front of him.

- Greetings, Your Majesty, they bowed.

- You know you can talk to me at home Longwei, The Emperor complained. I could have finished earlier and slept more.

- Your Majesty, Song called with a determined voice. I am the one who is seeking an audience.

- You may speak.

- Your Majesty, he took a deep breath. I am here to ask for your sixth daughter, Princess Yuanqian's hand.