龍 02 龙

It was yet another day in the Feng's mansion.

Old Madam Feng was happily gossiping with her friends.

- You must be very proud Madam Feng, the first woman said. The two daughters of the Feng mansion were both invited to the Ladies' Imperial Banquet.

- It's all thanks to their fathers, Madam Feng giggled. My Jialun holds a high place in the Imperial court. And Songyan ... He was a respectable man. They are very lucky to have such fathers.

- I am sure that if Shaogong also got a daughter, another woman praised her, she would also be one of their guests.

Madam Feng laughed along with her friends, satisfied with their compliments. Her reputation had surely grown thanks to her sons.

After marrying a simple man, she had given birth to three prestigious men.

Feng Jialun, the oldest, was the general who led their country's troops to victory after a war that lasted nine long years, gaining the title of Marquis of Cui. He was now a member of the imperial court. Together with his wife, they had given birth to Feng Ruoyun, a high-ranked official, Feng Ruojian, the smartest scholar the country has known, and Feng Ruolan, a smart girl known for her beauty and mastering the Guqin.

Feng Songyan, the second son, was the most talented soldier the empire had known. On the battlefield, he fell in love with his wife with whom he gave birth to Feng Jingyi, whose beauty stays untouchable. After losing their lives for their country, they left their daughter in the care of his oldest brother.

Feng Shaogong, the third son, was a knowledgeable man and an excellent teacher. He taught people from high nobility, such as the princes themselves, gaining the favors of the imperial palace. He and his wife had given birth to a smart boy, Xincheng, who was following his father's path.

Old Madam Feng doted on her sons a lot, harboring a kind of hatred towards their wives. But she equally loved all of her grandchildren, so the women would sometimes turn a blind eye to her partial behavior.

*****

- Don't make any trouble today, Mrs. Feng scolded her daughter. If you do anything, our family's reputations would be ruined We might even need to pay for our lives. This is the imperial palace, not our home's backyard. You-

- Calm down, Mr. Feng stopped his wife. Ruolan, have fun and be careful. Stay together with Jingyi, okay?

- Yes, Father.

- Jingyi, her mother smiled. I trust you with taking care of Ruolan. Make sure to have fun today.

The two girls bowed to their elders then got in the carriage, heading to the imperial palace.

- I heard that the palace's structure is beautiful and the decorations gorgeous, Jingyi told her cousin. I can't wait to see it with my eyes.

- I am more curious about the food, Ruolan giggled. How extravagant and delicious do you think it would be?

- I hope the other ladies wouldn't be mean. It's our first time entering the society after all.

- Don't worry Yiyi, I will protect you from anyone who dares mess with you. Plus, look at how beautiful you look! If any of the girls dare to say anything against you, it'll only be their jealousy eating them up.

- You look even more beautiful Lanlan.

- Of course. We are the Fengs after all.

The two girls giggled together, anticipating the banquet.