龍 03 龙

- Look at how extravagant her dress is ... And that jewelry set...

- Shh Lanlan! Jingyi whisper-yelled. What if someone hears you?

- I'm just saying the truth, Ryolan shrugged her shoulders. Everyone is wearing fancy yet simple clothes that make them look elegant. What is she trying to show off? No wonder she is still not married at her age.

- Ruolan ... Jingyi pleaded her to be quieter.

She giggled then looked around her.

The Ladies Banquet was full of beautiful ladies from noble families. The hall was gorgeously decorated with golden and silver patterns, crystals, and gems glamorizing the decoration.

In the middle of the room were dancers and musicians offering the ladies a delicate performance. Their seats were placed on both sides of the room, the royal family's at the middle end.

The Crown Princess, wife of the Crown Prince, was the host of this year's banquet.

By her right side were the Second Princess, Yuchang, and the Fifth Princess, Xiwei, the two daughters of the Emperor's second wife, Consort Yue.

On her left was their step-sister and youngest princess, Yuanqian, daughter of Consort Lin.

- Welcome to all the new ladies who finally joined us this year, The Crown Princess smiled. May each of you come and introduce herself.

The ladies took turns to present themselves to their highnesses.

Jingyi and Ruolan stood up as their turn arrived. They bowed to the princesses, politely smiling.

- Greetings your highness, Jingyi said. I am Feng Jingyi, daughter of the late Feng Songyan.

- I wish their Highness well, Ruolan smiled. I am Feng Ruolan, daughter of Feng Jialun, the Marquis of Cui.

- Feng Jingyi ... Princess Yuchang stared at Jingyi with arrogance. I heard that you grew up without a family. Is it true?

- My cousin grew up in Marquis Cui's house, Ruolan responded. How could she be familyless?

- But she has grown up an orphan, the princess insisted. I heard they died when she was six. She probably does not even remember their faces. How pitiful.

Ruolan looked at her cousin who looked down, sadness all over her face.

- My uncle and wife died in the war for the people, Ruolan tried to calm herself from saying something that could cost her life. Are you mocking the lives of the ones who sacrificed themselves and their families for His Majesty, Your Highness? Perhaps ... Are you mocking His Majesty?

- How dare you insult me, the princess? Yuchang yelled. Guards!

- Don't come forward, the Crown Princess ordered the guards. Yuchang, how could you offend someone with such words and mock the lives of your people?

- And I surely didn't insult Her Highness, Ruolan faked a shocked face. How dare I do so?

- You-

- Yuchang! Stop it. Ladies Cheng, take your places. May the next ladies come and introduce themselves.

Jingyi and Ruolan bowed and went back to their places. Jingyi looked down, feeling insecure after hearing the princess's words.

Ruolan comforted her and looked at the Second Princess who was already glaring at her.

- Jingyi, Ruolan sighed. I need to take a walk to calm myself down or else I might rip her eyeballs from her face. I'll leave Yuanyi with you.

She looked at Yuanyi, her maid, and ordered her to stay with her.

- But what if you get lost?

- Don't worry about that. I am a smart girl.

She winked at her then got up, discreetly walking out of the huge hall where the banquet was taking place. She headed to the backyard where a beautiful river was flowing through.

A smile covered her face as she noticed beautiful colored fish in the water. She carefully approached the river, admiring the delicate creatures.

Her eyes fell on a fish that had golden skin which was swimming faster than the others. She followed it and walked along the river, getting further from the Eastern palace where the banquet took place.

Some voices attracted her attention. She stopped and curiously approached the direction they were coming, male screams getting clearer.

She was soon peeking at men with dark clothes who seemed to be training. Some were practicing archery while others were fighting each other. Some were handling their swords while others held huge rocks to maintain their muscles.

- Are you here to rinse your eyes? A female voice called behind her.

She yelled from the surprise, turning to face the youngest princess.

- Your Highness, Ruolan bowed to her. I wasn't. I was taking a walk and admiring the fish. Then I happened to cross this path and-

- Who is there? An older deep voice called.

The man walked over to them. Ruolan looked down, afraid to get scolded. The princess noticed her nervousness and softly smiled.

- It's just me, Gege*. I was playing with my friend and accidentally scared her.

*Gege = older brother

Ruolan kept her face down, not daring to look at the man.

- How many times have I told you to not come too close to where our training takes place? The same male voice talked. It's too dangerous for you.

- I'm sorry Gege. I won't do it again, okay? I promise~

- It better be the last time.

- By the way, this is the daughter of General Feng. Lady Feng, this is my brother, General Wang.

- Pleased to meet you, General Wang, Ruolan bowed and finally raised her head.

General Wang held his breath as he silently looked at her, her eyes rattling his mind.

Realizing he had been silent for a long time, he simply nodded his head.

- Get back to the Eastern Palace, he told his sister.

The two girls turned away, heading back to the Eastern palace. The man stared at their figures for a few seconds before heading back to his men.

- Thank you so much, Your Highness, Ruolan bowed to the princess.

- It was nothing. I saw you leaving and wanted to talk with you.

- I wonder what Her Highness may want to talk with a simple girl like me ...

Ruolan's nervousness grew as she remembered the way she talked with the Second Princess. Was the younger one trying to avenge the humiliation she gave her?

- I wanted to talk to you about your behavior with Second Princess.

Crap.