龍 14 龙

Longwei rode his horse, his two men beside him.

- Isn't that Sixth Princess with Ladies Fengs? Wuxian signaled the palace entrance.

Song stared at the princess who was happily giggling with her friends, feeling at ease.

- Yuanqian, Longwei called his sister.

- Gege! She smiled at him.

Ruolan's face went pale. She looked away, hiding her face with her dress's sleeve.

- Are you going to the city? Yuanqian asked.

- Yes.

- Oh! These are my friends—Jingyi and Ruolan from the Feng family.

- Greetings, Jingyi respectfully bowed.

- Greetings, Ruolan kept her face hidden with her sleeve.

- We meet again, Lady Feng.

- Y-Yes, Ruolan nervously answered.

- Are you heading back home?

- Yes. We shouldn't bother Her Highness more than we already did.

- I want to see you both again, Yuanqian pouted. Oh, right! Wei, you are going hunting next week, right? Can we join you?

- You know you can invite whomever you like, Longwei nodded.

- Perfect! I'll send you both an invitation.

Jingyi and Ruolan bowed to them, the door of the carriage opening.

- Lady Feng, Longwei called. Permit us to escort you back.

- I wouldn't dare to b-bother you, she tried to compose herself.

- Your mansion is in our way.

- But aren't we going to the other side of the city? Wuxian whispered to Song.

- Stay quiet, Song looked at his Master then Ruolan with a suspicious look.

- And if something happens, Longwei continued. My sister might get in trouble. I wouldn't want that for her.

- You are right. It would be best if you went with them, Yuanqian innocently said.

- If you insist ... 

Ruolan got in first then followed by Jingyi.

- Song, Longwei ordered. You stay on the right side. I'll be on the left. Wuxian, to the back.

Wuxian pouted then did as he was told. The carriage left to the Feng Mansion.

Ruolan stole a glance at the General who was by her side.

Is he trying to corner us to scold us because of earlier? What if he is going to tell my parents?! Oh God ...

She looked once again, only to meet his gaze.

She widened her eyes and looked away, cheeks heating from embarrassment.

- Why does she seem so frightened? Longwei asked himself.

Ruolan looked over the window again, noticing the familiar street.

- General Wang, she called. Can we stop for a moment? There is something I need from that pedlar.

Longwei nodded and got off his horse. He opened the door for Ruolan, letting her get off.

He offered his hand for her to come down and she nervously held it, feeling his gaze on her.

- Let me accompany you. Song will stay here.

She nodded and walked to the pedlar while he followed her.

Is he trying to stay alone with me to yell at me?

- Hello Uncle, she smiled at the old man.

- Oh! He widened his eyes. Isn't this our Lanlan? How have you been?

- I'm doing great Uncle. What about you? How are your children?

- They are doing just fine. It has been so long. Why did you not come for a while?

The man looked at Longwei behind her and smirked.

- I see. It's good that you found a man. Girls should get married and have children early-

- NO! She yelled. He is not- He is General Wang. I-I was in the palace and he i-is only accompanying me back. J-Jingyi is with me too!

- Ah! The man got surprised. I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to say anything wrong! Please forgive me, General Wang!

Longwei stayed quiet, making the tension grow more awkward.

- U-Uncle, she tried to change the subject. I missed having your walnut paste. Today, I'm going to buy a lot!

- Of course!

Longwei looked at Ruolan who had a huge happy smile on her face.

- What's walnut paste? He asked.

- You never had it?! Both Ruolan and the old man yelled.

- Here, the Uncle handed him a bowl of the paste. Have a taste.

Longwei stared at the pot for a short time then tasted a bit of its content, his eyes softening at the delicious savour.

- It tastes even better with ... Ruolan looked around. Pancakes!

She approached a woman who was selling pancakes and bought one.

She came back with a huge smile, his heart skipping a beat at how beautiful she looked.

- Dip it in, she handed the pancake to Longwei.

He did as told and nodded, appreciating the snack.

- I will also take some, he said. My mother and sister will like it.

The Uncle happily prepared the paste for them to take.

- Here, Longwei handed the Uncle the money. I'll pay for everything.

- I'll get you your change-

- What? Ruolan turned to him. But I'm getting way too much. You can't-

- You paid for the pancake. I should pay for your paste.

- I only got you a little pancake. It's nothing. We are not close enough for this. You should keep your money to yourself. Here, Uncle.

She handed him the money. The man looked at Longwei who was staring at him.

- Sir, Longwei said. You can keep all the money. Let's go.

He picked up the bags and turned to the carriage.

- But-

- Lanlan, the Uncle stopped her. You shouldn't fight with him. Quarrels between lovers shouldn't be over simple things.

- But we are not lovers! She yelled.

- Okay, okay. Just go. 

- Don't forget to brag about how General Wang bought paste from you to bring it to Her Highness. You will get more clients!

She giggled then headed back to the carriage, where everyone was waiting for her. She sat beside her cousin whose eyes lighted at the sight of the walnut paste.

The rest of the ride was calm. The men accompanied them until their mansion's front door.

- Thank you, General Wang, they bowed to him.

He stood there, watching them get inside.

- Hum Master? Wuxian said. Shouldn't we go?

He nodded and left, heading back to his duties.