Only a Phone Call Away

Finally getting home, Lucy and Jackson quickly cleaned up the living room.

"Thanks for helping out, sorry I ate all the chocolate." Lucy giggled, folding the last blanket.

Jackson nodded, removing his jacket.

Lucy then headed for her room, a bottled water and ibuprofen by her bed. "Thanks, Jackson!" She smiled, taking off her shoes. She decided she would take a shower in the morning and pulled off her jeans. She was now in just her underwear and tee, with her hair in a loose bun as she collapsed into her sheets.

Her phone buzzed on the nightstand, and she reached to answer it, reading the Caller ID. Sergeant Grey.

She quickly brought the phone to her ear, running her fingers through her hair.

"Chen?" Grey called into the telephone.

"Sir?"

"Bradford and West tell me you have been wanting to come back on patrol. I'm sure Bradford has informed you on protocol?" His tone over the phone was deep yet sincere. Now Grey is being easy on me.

"I'm aware I'll be asked questions. I don't mind answering them, Sir. Do you know the soonest I can be back on?" She rolled over on the mattress, scratching at her head.

"Maybe by tomorrow afternoon if the investigation goes by quickly. Can you be in by nine?"

'Yes, yes! I'll be there, yes." Chen chirped, rubbing her forehead. She removed the phone from her face, exhaling once, then going back to the device.

"Well, then. I'll see you tomorrow. I'm glad to hear you're so eager to come back. Goodnight, Chen." Wade finally said. Lucy wished goodnight to her sergeant, then hung up her phone call. She scrolled through her messages with her mother, replying to a few.

Mom, I can't make it this weekend. Just invite Josie.

She switched to Tim's contact, sending a few messages.

To: Tim Bradford
From: Lucy Chen

L: Hey, you up?

L: I want to see you.

T: Call me.

Lucy immediately obliged, the phone ringing once before Tim picked up.

"Hey, you" she smiled, noticing Tim's sleepy eyes. His arm rested under his head, and a yawn escaped his lips as Lucy shifted in her bed.

"How was it today?" Lucy propped her elbow, letting her chin rest on her hand.

"Boring. Two minor crimes the entire day. I'm positive I only get good cases when we ride together." Tim chuckled. He scratched at his chin; eyes bright as he spoke about his day. Lucy couldn't see below his neck, though he wore no shirt, only a pair of gray sweatpants.

"And you? Have fun singing with Sandra?" He laughed, breathing out. Tim watched Lucy with awe as she talked about her night at the bar. His eyes beamed anytime Lucy smiled, her face soft.

They stayed on the phone for a few more minutes, before Lucy finally spoke up.

"Grey said I may be back on tomorrow. Thanks for talking to him," Lucy propped any loose hair behind her ear.

"Well, I know you, and I could tell you needed this." Tim shrugged, the camera of his phone lowering faintly.

"Are you going to move that camera lower?" Chen raised a brow.

Tim rolled his eyes with a small smirk on his face. He shook his head, gnawing at his inner cheek.

"You're drunk, Luce."

"So, what?" Chen groaned, cocking her head.

"So, you need to go to bed. I'll see you tomorrow, okay? And hey, if you need anything tomorrow you just text me and I'll be right there."

Lucy pouted, curving her eyebrows.

"Yeah, okay. Goodnight."

"Goodnight, Luce."

——————————————

sorry for the short chapter, the next one is going to be longer than usual; dw!!! 🙌