龍 01 龙

- But why ?! Ruolan stood up. Mother! I'm finally of age to attend such celebrations. I've always wanted to attend the Lanter Festival.

- Did you not think about how Jingyi would feel? Her mother scolded. Imagine how sad she would be if everyone left and she stayed alone in her room. Or are you doing it on purpose to upset her?

- Not at all! If she is sick and can't attend, why must I stay too? Mother, she will join us next year, right?

- Then you can wait until next year.

- Why would I have to? It's okay for me to wait a year but not for her?

- She needs someone to stay with her. You can attend other celebrations with her after that. The Ladies Imperial banquet is in two weeks, no?

- But I only care about the Lantern Festival! It's finally my chance to see it. It's not fair. If you are that worried about her, you can stay with her!

- Are you defying my words? Mrs. Feng yelled. How insolent!

- But Mothe-

- You are not going. End of discussion.

Ruolan turned to her father who looked away.

His heart tore at the sight of his daughter's teary eyes, but he knew how stubborn his wife was. There was nothing he could do to change her mind, and even if he tried to side with Ruolan, he would have to bear his wife's enormous anger.

- I am sorry Mother, Ruolan sadly smiled, holding her tears. I forgot that only Jingyi is worthy of affection and I deserve none.

She stormed out of the room.

- My dear, the father stood next to the door. Aren't you too hard on Ruolan?

- I am only seeking equality. Did you forget the promise we made to your late brother?

- Treating Jingyi as our daughter doesn't mean we need to treat our own as her enemy. You always see Ruolan's actions as vile when she is only a child.

- That's because she is not sensible and upright. If she was at least half as good as Jingyi, I wouldn't have to worry as much as I do. Just look at her reaction!

Mr. Feng sighed, giving up.

*****

- Be a good girl, Mr. Feng warned his daughter. And take care of Jingyi.

- I'll bring you some candies, Ruoyun smiled at his little sister.

- And I'll get you the prettiest lantern, Ruojian patted her head.

- Don't forget about Jingyi, Mrs. Feng scolded her sons. She is also your sister.

The boys lowered their heads, feeling bad for their sister.

- Don't you need a new hairpin? Mrs. Feng asked Jingyi. I'll bring you a beautiful one. Stay in your room and be careful. You need to rest well.

- Yes, Aunt Yifei, Jingyi smiled.

- Are you sure you don't need me to stay with you both? Ruoyun's wife looked at the younger girls.

- You don't need to bother yourself with us, Sangzhi, Jingyi smiled at her.

- Plus, Ruolan winked at her. It's your first Lantern Festival with Ruoyun. You both should buy one and write your names on it so that you get a lot of children.

Sangzhi blushed while the girls giggled.

- Stop teasing my wife, Ruoyun flicked his sister's forehead.

Ruolan stuck her tongue out, laughing at the newly married couple.

The eldest family members soon got on their carriage and left for the festival.

Ruolan stared at the carriage with bitter feelings, then turned to her cousin.

- We should get going if we don't want to miss anything, she warmly.

Jingyi nodded her head excitedly. They grabbed some blankets and snacks then went to the rooftop. Ruolan easily climbed on it then helped her cousin.

They sat together, admiring the beautiful city. The stars were shining bright, and the sky was slowly got filled with lanterns.

Ruolan took a warm blanket and covered her Jingyi with it, making sure that she wasn't cold.

- Lanlan? Jingyi nervously said. I'm sorry. Because of me you-

- We will go together next year, right? Ruolan smiled. And we will buy all the lanterns and food.

- Yes! Jingyi happily nodded.

They smiled at each other and stared at the city.

Since they were young, they got the habit of sneaking to the rooftop and watching the lanterns from there, waiting for their coming of age. Jingyu wasn't that fond of this festival, but seeing her cousin's excitement every year was enough to make her adore the celebration.

She knew the favoritism played by her aunt and how harsh she was on Ruolan, but as a child, she couldn't talk back to the elders. All she could do was dote on her cousin in the hope of her affection and forgiveness.

No matter how harsh her mother's words were, Ruolan could never hate Jingyi. She was her little sister whom she promised to protect with her life.

I hope I'll be able to see the lanterns next year ...