57

Ch. 57 - Masquerade (1)
The next morning.

It was rare to see students active during the early dawn when the sun was just starting to rise.

That was why Hong Bi-Yeon preferred this time the most.

Splash!

Hong Bi-Yeon immersed herself in the Class S exclusive swimming pool, diving deeper and deeper. The cold water wrapped around her body, dissipating her heated emotions.

Phew!

After swimming underwater for a while, Hong Bi-Yeon slowly emerged from the pool, her breath reaching the tip of her chin.

Thump!

Thump!

The sensation of water droplets flowing down her cheek from the ends of her hair was vivid.

Suddenly, she wiped her own fair white skin.

Once, her skin was covered in burn scars, and she found it repulsive.

But now, the memory of her once-disgusting skin flashed through her mind.

During her childhood, she was engulfed in flames.

No, she had to walk through the fire.

"You were born with the blessing of fire."

"Mother, it hurts."

"Can't you endure this much?"

"Please, it hurts too much."

The child at that time was crying. She had to burn her body, survive in the fire, and devour the flames.

"You can do it."

"I can't."

"This is all for your sake."

"It's too agonizing."

The child screamed. Begged for mercy, for forgiveness.

But her mother didn't stop.

Whoosh!

In her memory, those dreadful red scars engulfed her mind.

"Wook..."

Swaying, Hong Bi-Yeon suddenly felt dizzy and sat down on the ground, her legs losing strength.

"Haah, ha..."

She touched her skin with trembling hands. The sensation of clean, milky-white skin could be felt.

Although the burn from that time had completely healed, the horrific memory still lingered, leaving scars deep in her heart.

Perhaps, it was a burn scar that would never heal in her lifetime.

The reason she always enjoyed diving deep into the water might be because of that past.

When she swam, it felt as if the unhealed burn scars were being washed away from her heart.

After taking off her swimsuit and entering the shower booth, she let the water run quietly. Her swollen face reflected back at her from the mirror.

It was the price she paid for shedding countless tears last night.

"Has it still not subsided..."

She tried to recall the memoir titled "Dear Mother" by Baek Yu-Seol but quickly shook her head to forget about it.

After finishing her shower and returning to the dormitory, she dressed neatly in her school uniform and turned her attention to the vanity.

There were various high-end cosmetics, but she rarely used them.