Chapter 19

The following afternoon, they were again working on potions when Draco and Narcissa suddenly yelped. Harry looked to them in alarm and they were both clutching at their left forearms.

"Fuck!" Harry exclaimed, knowing immediately what it meant. Draco was pushing back his sleeve, and Harry saw the jet black Mark. It had been a dark red before but, at the moment, it was an almost shiny black. Harry irrelevantly wondered how long it would take to fade back to red again after summoning.

"He'll know now," Draco whimpered.

Narcissa looked no better than Draco, but she swiftly moved to wrap her son in a tight hug.

"Can he reach you through the Marks?" Harry asked sharply, realizing it was something he should've asked long before now.

Draco pushed at his mother for some breathing room and scowled at Harry. "Of course he can reach us. He uses the Mark to summon his followers," he spat. "I thought you knew this, Potter."

"I do know that," Harry said impatiently. "I've watched him do it before. What I don't know is if he can do anything else through the Mark."

He didn't really think so. If Voldemort could reach his followers through the Mark, ones like Karkaroff would never have lasted as long as he had. He didn't really think the Mark connected Voldemort to his followers, like his scar connected him to Voldemort.

Draco frowned deeply and Narcissa was the one who answered. "No," she said quietly. "It only distinguishes his followers from others and it allows him to summon them."

"Does he have some way of summoning just one of you?" Harry asked. He knew that when Voldemort touched the Mark that it called all of the Death Eaters. But could Voldemort call just one follower – or two – repeatedly until they arrived at his side?

Narcissa shook her head and Harry was deeply relieved. "If he summons one, he summons all through the Mark. It simply allows us to apparate directly to his current location. He cannot reach us the same way that he's been able to reach you in the past," she said.

"So, Voldemort can't torture you through the bloody thing?" Harry asked, needing that clarified.

"No," Narcissa said simply. "We will only feel the burn each time he summons the Death Eaters."

Harry exhaled heavily. "Well, that isn't so bad, then," he said.

"Not so bad?" Draco ground out. "This fucking hurts, Potter."

Harry unconsciously rubbed his scar. "I'm sure it does," he said.

Draco's eyes widened and Harry realized what he was doing. "Yes, I've got my own bloody Mark," Harry said sharply. "Be fucking thankful he can't reach you through the one on your arm."

As if talking about his scar triggered a reaction, Harry could feel it start to burn and prickle painfully. He winced, concentrating on his Occlumency shields for a moment, making sure that he was blocking his mind from Voldemort.

Unfortunately, Voldemort didn't seem to be blocking his own mind. He was furious enough that the emotion was coming clearly across the link to Harry.

Harry squeezed his eyes shut tightly for a few moments, pressing on his scar in an attempt to relieve the pressure.

"Harry? Harry!"

Draco and Narcissa each had a hand on one of his shoulders, staring at him anxiously.

"He knows," Harry said simply.

"Already?" Narcissa asked, her face pinched and white.

Harry shrugged. "He's furious," he said, realizing his face probably looked just as pale as the other two. "I can't see him being that angry about anything else at the moment. This is the first time he's summoned the Death Eaters since you've disappeared and, considering how furious he is, I reckon he hasn't been at your house since you left to find out before now."