Chapter 11

Determined not to do anything to harm Victoria, Harry concentrated extra hard on his Apparition, while holding onto her tightly. Opening his eyes, he was grateful to see the Weasley's backyard, and that they had both arrived safely with no body parts missing.

Taking a deep breath, he knocked once before entering the Weasley's kitchen.

"Harry! We've been so worried," Mrs. Weasley exclaimed upon seeing him. She went to squeeze him in a hug until she registered the baby he was holding. She paused and stared in disbelief. It gave Harry that extra moment to realize they were the only ones in the kitchen so far.

"Harry," Mrs. Weasley said slowly. "Where did you get a baby?" she asked.

"Mrs. Weasley, this is Victoria," Harry said cheerfully.

Just then, the door to the hallway flew open and Hermione came rushing in. "Harry! I thought I heard Mrs. Weasley call your name." She screeched to a halt in front of him, much like Mrs. Weasley had.

"That's a baby," Hermione said, blinking in amazement at Victoria.

"Very observant," Harry said, sniggering at his friend.

She glared at him. "Where'd you get a baby?" she demanded.

"That's what I'd like to know," Mrs. Weasley said sternly.

"Her name is Victoria," Harry said again for Hermione's benefit. "And I'm watching her for the time being. You know how my aunt feels about babies being dumped on her doorstep," he said with a grimace.

"She was dumped at the Dursley's house?" Hermione asked, outraged. Mrs. Weasley looked like she would explode at any moment.

Harry shrugged helplessly. "Her family are victims of the war," he said quietly. Which, he reckoned, was true enough. Her mother and maternal grandparents had been killed, and her father and paternal grandparents were Death Eaters. That qualified as making them all victims of Voldemort in Harry's book.

"Victoria was brought to my aunt's house for now, until there is somewhere safe for her to go," he added.

Harry was quite pleased with himself. So far, he technically hadn't lied at all. He'd been seriously misleading, but he hadn't outright lied.

"Oh, the poor thing," Mrs. Weasley said, reaching for the baby now. Victoria didn't want to go, though, and started crying.

Harry shushed her. "Shhh, its okay, Victoria. This is Mrs. Weasley and she knows all about babies," he said reassuringly. He hoped his tone helped, because he knew she didn't understand the words. She quieted down, but still clung tightly to Harry.

Mrs. Weasley backed off, but gave Harry an odd look. "How long have you been taking care of her, Harry?" she asked.

"Um, about a month," Harry admitted.

"A month?!" Hermione shrieked in astonishment. "Why didn't you tell us before?!"

Victoria started crying again and Harry glared at Hermione as he bounced Victoria, trying to calm her again. "Could that be a reason?" he asked sarcastically.

Hermione looked chagrined at causing the baby to cry. "I didn't mean to upset her," she said quietly. Then she glared at Harry. "But you should have told us," she snapped. "No wonder you've wanted to stay at the Dursleys longer."

"I didn't know how long this was going to last," Harry said, still bouncing. "I still don't know how long, but while she needs care, I don't intend to just abandon her with the Dursleys."

"She's quite attached to you already," Mrs. Weasley said. "It's common when they're this age to be a little more fearful of strangers."

"Lovely," Harry muttered. "And I thought this would be a nice outing for her."