Chapter 31

"You know, Terrance, I never thought I'd enjoy talking about classic literature, but you make it sound so fascinating." Cassie beamed.

"Well, I guess I have a way with words, don't I? But I have to admit, your enthusiasm for learning new things is pretty infectious."

"Oh, come on, don't give me all the credit. I've learned a thing or two from you as well. Like, who knew that coffee beans came from cherries? Mind-blowing!" Cassie exclaimed with enthusiasm.

Terrance chuckled. "See, that's the thing about life – there's always something new and interesting to discover. It's all about keeping an open mind."

Cassie nodded."You're absolutely right. And speaking of keeping an open mind, I've been thinking a lot about what you said that day in the cafeteria."

"About trying new things?" He questioned.

"Yes, exactly. I realized that I've been holding back from exploring my interests, just because they seemed different from what my sisters are into. But you made me see that it's okay to be myself." Cassie felt her cheeks blushing.

Terrance smiled warmly."I'm glad to hear that, Cassie. You should never have to hide who you are just to fit in. Embracing your own uniqueness is what makes you special."

"You're a really good friend, Terrance. You know how to encourage and inspire people."

Terrance felt himself enamoured by the sincerity in her eyes. Cassie's presence filled the void in his heart. "Cassie, you're an amazing person. Anyone would be lucky to have you as a friend."

Cassie blushed deeply. "Thank you, Terrance. That means a lot."

Terrance reached across the table, gently touching her hand. "And hey, if you ever want to talk about anything, or if there's something you're curious about, you know I'm here, right? I'll always be there."

Cassie smiled feeling a warmth spread through her body, "I do. And I really appreciate it."

"Good. Because, Cassie, you deserve all the happiness in the world."

Their conversation continued, the genuine connection between them growing stronger with every word.
As they talked, neither of them could ignore the blossoming feelings that were beginning to take root. Terrance however was struggling hard with his fake exterior. It was slowly becoming difficult for him. But he couldn't betray his blood-Vincent....Not now Not ever....

Meanwhile, Blake stole occasional glances at Aubrey, his gaze lingering on her even when their eyes didn't meet. He had been trying to ignore the ache in his chest,  that seemed to intensify whenever she was around.

Aubrey, on the other hand, sat in silence, her thoughts a mess. She felt his eyes on her, the weight of his stare like a physical touch, and yet she couldn't bring herself to meet his gaze. With a heavy sigh, she excused herself from the table, her heart racing a bit faster than usual.

As she walked away, Blake quietly excused himself from the table as well. His footsteps followed her, but instead of heading toward the bathroom, he took a detour, his steps leading him to her room. A route marked in his memory like old times.

Inside her room, Aubrey paced restlessly, trying to shake off the unsettled feeling that had taken hold of her. She felt like she was trapped between the past and the present. Being near Blake only seemed to exacerbate that feeling.

As she turned to face the door, she froze, her breath catching in her throat. Blake stood there, his gaze intense and unreadable. Aubrey's heart pounded loudly in her chest, her mind racing to find words to break the silence.

"I... What are you doing here?" she finally managed to ask, her voice barely above a whisper.

Blake's gaze held hers, his expression a mix of vulnerability and determination. "Aubrey, we need to talk," he said softly, his words hanging in the air between them.

Aubrey felt a swirl of emotions – anger, hurt, confusion – all colliding within her. She crossed her arms, a defensive gesture, but her eyes betrayed her vulnerability. "Talk? About what, Blake? There's nothing left to say."

He took a step closer, closing the distance between them. "No, Aubrey, there's plenty left to say. We can't just pretend like everything that happened between us doesn't matter."

Aubrey's gaze wavered, torn between the desire to open up and the fear of getting hurt again. "Blake, you hurt me. You pushed me away."

His voice was soft, tinged with regret. "I know, and I'm sorry. I messed up, Aubrey, and I've regretted it every day since. I miss you." He finally apologized.

Her eyes glistened with tears, her emotions swirling like a storm within her. "You can't just... come back and expect everything to be okay."

Blake reached out, his fingers brushing against her arm in a gentle, hesitant touch. "I don't expect that. But I want to try, Aubrey. I want to make things right, if you'll let me."

As their gazes locked, Aubrey felt a wave of conflicting emotions crash over her. She wanted to resist, to hold onto her anger and protect her heart, but the ache of missing him, the raw emotions that had never truly faded, were too strong to ignore.

With a heavy sigh, she nodded, her voice barely audible. "Okay, Blake. Let's talk."