five

act three,   chapter five
reality tv

° ˖ ˖ °

"So, they want us to get messy?"

"Exactly." EJ says, giving his girlfriend a curt nod as she stands up from her seat. "They want drama. They need views."

"So, maybe I really should break up with you for not showing off enough bicep today." Andrea jokes, making Carlos and Val stifle a laugh.

"Please don't." EJ's voice cracks, making the girl flash him a sweet smile to make up for teasing him. "So, will you help us get everybody on board?"

Andrea glances over to Val, who gives her a knowing look, "Of course. I'm here to help. No using our relationship for drama, though, alright Rodriguez."

"Wouldn't dream of it." Carlos throws his arms up in surrender. "Honestly, it might be better if the audience didn't know that you two were dating, that way they can ship you guys for themselves. It makes it all the better."

"So, you want us to act like we are not dating?"

"Sort of," Carlos shrugs, "Keep the longing looks, but scrap the confessions of love." The couple tenses up, at the drop of the l-word. "They need to feel the tension through the screen. You get me?"

"Yup, yup." Andrea says, retreating back to her seat, avoiding her boyfriend and Val's eyes at all costs. Seconds later, the room is filled with the rest of the cast, all of them taking their seats.

"Thanks for coming in early, guys. We've been up all night."

"Look, this better be good, because in here, it's still last night." Kourtney speaks up.

"We've been working on a plan to save the show and give Corbin and that Channing guy the reality show style juice that they really want."

"Sorry. Save the show?" Gina asks for clarification.

"He just wants a little more excitement from us. A little more..."

"He thinks we're boring." Carlos interjects making the crowd erupt in a chorus of gasps. "He's missing our rehearsal today to scout out the kids at Deep Lake Camp in Temecula."

"That can't be a real place." Ricky turns to Andrea, who just shrugs in response.

"But not to worry, because we have a plan. And it starts with five little letters."

"Allow me." Val unveils the board.

"Watch what happens, fam."

"Ri-cos-il?"

"No. It's The Real Campers of Shallow Lake. The franchise I was always destined to join." Carlos pauses, "I mean, you were."

"Look, it's easy. You know how normally we act like regular people, pick up on social cues, care about our feelings?"

"Do we?"

"Yes, we do. But now that's over."

"Because the key to any great reality show is the three Bs. Bombshells, betrayals and bitch slaps." Carlos says, making the crowd erupt in an even louder chorus of gasps.

"Can he say that?"

"Look, I love the housewives as much as anyone, but how are we gonna pull this off when we're real students who don't have millions to burn and kids to blame?"