Chapter 28: Remembrance

Sigonella Naval Hospital, 7:03 AM, 17th of November, 1639

Tommaso gently brought the pastry up to his lips as he took a bite somewhat weakly. He sat in the hospital bed of his room as his cup of coffee was only half-finished. The young man hesitated closing his eyes as the air stung at his pupils from him trying to keep his eyelids open. He had been sleeping for... who knows how long, and he had no intentions of sleeping again.

Tommaso rubbed his eyes tiredly as he sighed and set down the pastry in his hand onto the tray. He looked to the side to see the bouquet of flowers Dante left him— 'Rest up while I kick ass!' the note read. Yeah right, Tommaso thought. As he decided to not finish his breakfast today, he instead tried to drink as much of the coffee as possible before a bit of nausea hit him as he shuddered. That's enough for now...

He sighed as he leaned against the hospital bed which was propped up for his comfort. Tommaso eyed the TV on the wall as the morning news played on. Mostly interviews and footage of the Lourian War.

He had been awake for... two days now. If waking up at 11:47 PM last night counted as an extra day. And with his first meal in a while, Tommaso couldn't help but think how strange it was to feel both hungry and full at the same time.

A knock then came from the door and Tommaso expected it was the nurse who brought breakfast. But then he realised it was a middle aged man in a military uniform with the tag Caruso. Realising who it was, Tommaso went wide eyed and sat up as he tried to salute only for Giuseppe to raise his hand, "At ease soldier. You need all the rest you can get."

"Y-yes sir..." Tommaso said as he leaned back against the bed while he held his blanket. Why was he here? Oh god, he was gonna be dishonourably discharged wasn't he? For being hit by a damn boulder while in a helicopter! How incompetent could he be!?

Giuseppe realised there was now worry on Tommaso's face and with an almost fatherly smiled, he spoke, "You're not in trouble, Rosa. We're just here to check on you."

We? Tommaso then perched his head to the side a bit to see two other men with Giuseppe. One had his phone and another looked like he was recording Tommaso. With a more skeptical look, the young man looked to his superior, "Check on me about what exactly, sir?"

Guiseppe looked to his men before he eventually pulled up a seat as he sat beside the bed. He took a moment to find his words before he spoke, "You see, son... Italy might be getting into another war soon. But this time it is very important that we make sure to do this right. You are aware of the War God Emissaries, right?"

"... yes sir," Tommaso said as he furrowed his eyebrows. "Roman soldiers summoned from Britannia to fight Nosgorath and his soldiers."

"Indeed... wait, Britannia? Britain? How... do you know that, son?" Giuseppe said with surprise.

Tommaso sighed, "The whole time I was asleep I've been dreaming about one of the legionaries. It... sounds unbelievable, I know."

"Rosa, Italy is in a world of wizards and elves. You dreaming of a past life being a Roman soldier isn't the most ridiculous thing I've heard."

"That isn't my past life, sir. At least I don't think so... I don't want to think so. I'm my own man," Tommaso said with a little huff as he closed his eyes.

"Alright, Rosa... let's get back on track now shall we?" Giuseppe said before he looked back to the two men as he nodded, "Now then, tell me... what can you remember from your dreams?"

"Well..." Tommaso huffed, "The first thing I remember is his name. His... name was..."

...

"Never surrender Timutheus! Stand up and claim victory with us!" A blond man yelled down to the black haired soldier beneath him as he offered his hand to his fallen comrade.