Chapter 17: The Northern Miracle

Approaching Qua-Toyne, 10:37 AM, 30th of September, 1639

The eerie silence of the Rodenius Sea was broken by the sounds of whirring above. In the sky, an NH30 helicopter was guided by two others as they traveled above the waters of the sea.

There, a middle aged man with a 5 o'clock shadow and messily combed greying hair looked back at the ocean. As he adjusted his glasses that aided his blue eyes, he sighed tiredly.

Ambassador Alberto Rossi, former diplomat of Italy to Afghanistan, eyed the suitcase in his hands. A veteran of war, he rubbed his eyes in exhaustion as he never really thought that he'd do something so familiar in this new world.

The possibility of Italy going to war made him think deeply. The prospect of war was heavily unpopular with the people to the point many are very much skeptical of even lending help to NATO. He could only imagine the messy political landscape that could transpire from the new bill the prime minister was planning to propose.

But right now Alberto had a job to do. He looked around to see another man and a woman with him. With neat black hair and grey eyes, Alessio Bianchi was on his phone as he was catching himself up with the situation at Qua-Toyne. And as she brushed her blonde hair aside, Giulia Santoro scanned a document in her hand with her green eyes.

These two were probably the best people Alberto could trust with such a volatile situation. And right now, even he felt a bit tense at the prospect of going to a country that was a war zone.

As the helicopter made their way into Qua-Toynian airspace, he then could see some land ahead. And he was certain that their welcome couldn't be any more friendly.

Alberto looked out the window as he went wide eyed. The scenery of the unknown town below looked very much like something from a period movie set. Stone and wooden houses, wooden sailboats, medieval style towers. It was no wonder such a brutal war was being fought right now. The social progress for the rules of war wasn't in place here yet.

The man could only shut his eyes as he dared not imagine what sort of atrocities could've happened.

——————————————————
Maihark Castle, Maihark

Regret started to stem over Prince Haluta as he sat in his office. He promised his people that he was gonna stay with them in the capital but soon the city gates were bashed down and Lourian soldiers marched in. If it weren't for their wyvern corps, the City of Qua-Toyne would've fallen yesterday. But the danger was there and with immense hesitation, the prince and his prime minister was evacuated to Maihark.

He looked out the window to the docks of the city. There were still loads of people who were trying to evacuate the country as a whole. But right now the sun shined down the city with most ships opting to leave by night to hide from the Lourian Navy. He asked the local government to appeal them to stay, but what can they do? Even local officials wanted to leave Qua-Toyne for their safety. But where?

Suddenly he perked up. He could hear whirring noises outside. Haluta quickly looked out the window further as he spotted three flying beasts. Oh gods, are they Lourian ones? No, surely not. And yet the whirring did not sound like wyvern wings flapping. He then watched some of the local wyvern fighters take off from the nearby stable to intercept the unknown objects. Haluta then looked around to find the source before he went wide eyed. What is that?

And as if on schedule, a few royal guards guided by a human with a beard, and a circlet that fit well with his cape arrived to take the prince away to the basement. "Your highness, we must make haste! An unknown beast is—"

"I know, commander Nouka. Let's go," the prince said with a nod as he quickly followed the guards out of the study. Soon he walked down the halls of the castle with Nouka and the guards as they went down to a secure meeting room once more.