Chapter 34: Wishful Thinking

Start from the beginning

St Mungos felt larger than before. It was almost intimidating. I wasn't sure if it had always been this way or if this was a hallucination caused by my stress and anxiety. But Ominis and Sebastian strolled in so casually, I almost had to be dragged in to keep up with them.

Sebastian held my hand the entire way up to Anne's level. I could feel the moisture in our palms, though I'm not sure if it was my sweat... or his... or both. Finally, we reached her door. Sebastian stood back to let Ominis go first. What a gentleman.

"Are you alright? You've been awfully quiet." He pulled me aside and asked, both of his large hands pressed firmly on my shoulders.

"I... I'm just really nervous, Sebastian. What if it goes wrong?" I admitted, dipping my head towards the floor.

"Hey. Look at me," He said, lifting my chin with his thumb, "It doesn't matter. We're just trying and that's if she'll even agree to it. There is absolutely no pressure on you. If it doesn't work... then it's fine."

"Not just that, Sebastian... what if I hurt her? What if I make it worse? What if the curse has been in her so long that it's attached somehow." I confessed, feeling my heart rate increasing more than I'd like it to.

"We've seen it done, Olive. Just try gently and if there's resistance, you'll stop. If it hurts, Anne will tell you. I trust you and your abilities. I know you won't hurt her." Sebastian reassured me. He pulled me in to a deep, longing kiss, pressing his hand on my chest. "Relax. Your heart is going to burst out of your chest."

"I'm sorry. I can't help it."

"Come on. Let's get it over with so we can get you back." Sebastian reassured me, kissing me on the forehead.

I let Sebastian enter first to greet his sister who was sitting up and holding Ominis' hand.

It had been a while since I had seen Anne. I don't know if it was my memory serving me wrong or if she was getting worse but she looked awful. And I thought she looked awful before. This was almost scary.

Anne sleepily asked us about school, if we were staying out of trouble. All the usual stuff. But it was difficult to watch her have to muster the energy to even try and speak. Though the boys were laughing and smiling with her, I could sense their sadness at seeing Anne literally withering away in front of their eyes. She couldn't even bring herself to tilt her head up to look at Ominis.

"Anne, there's something we need to ask you." Sebastian finally spoke, beginning to broach the idea of a potential cure.

"Oh?" Anne said, her eyebrows lifting.

"Before we ask, there's something you need to know," Sebastian said, flicking me a glance as if he was asking for permission, "Olive has a unique magic... more than anything you or I or even Ominis can do."

Sebastian's voice was trembling slightly as he spoke to Anne about my ancient magic abilities. Anne's eyebrows furrowed as she listened intently, trying to understand what it all meant.

"Last year, Olive and I witnessed a pensieve memory from someone who had the same ability. She had the ability to take away pain. And... we've been trying and experimenting and we think that Olive may be able to do it for you. To lift your curse." Sebastian explained.

"What? Heal me? Sebastian, you're mad! I thought we were done with all of this! Ominis, are you hearing this? Tell him he's wrong! That he's going down the wrong path again!" Anne said, seemingly frustrated as she tried to push herself higher up on the bed.

"Actually-"

"Ominis? What are you doing?" Anne said, whipping her head towards him, rage beginning to burn through her.