22

I press down on the nozzle as I spray the liquid into my hair. Making sure to keep all baby hairs down so my tight ponytail looks silky and smooth.

A maid walks in, "Ma'am, your brothers and their families are arriving for a dinner that your mother is hosting."

I groan as I put my gold hoop earrings in.

"Why must my mother plan such things without me?" I groan.

The maid stays silent, I ask, "Can you tell her I'll be down in 5 minutes?"

The maid says, "Of course madam," as she curtsy's.

I look back toward the door then text Stella, "When are you coming to England?"

I tap on my phone as I pace my room. My lip between my teeth as I think. Finally my phone vibrates in my hand. I look down and of course it is him.

Stella doesn't answer so I groan and put my phone in my pocket. Ignoring his text.

My mother walks into my room and asks, "When will you be ready?"

I shrug, "Maybe in about 10 minutes."

She says, "You must make haste, the whole family will be here!"

I ask, "Even father?"

She says, "Of course not. And you must change! You look lovely but you must be presentable for your brothers families."

I roll my eyes as my mother walks out. Groaning as I walk up the stairs. Searching through my closet I find myself a blue sundress and call it a day.

Hurrying out of my room and down the stairs I reach my mother who waits for me.

"Urban is already here, why don't you go and talk with him," she proposes.

I nod and ask, "Where is he?"

"He is sitting by the lake, I'll have one of the maids take you on a cart," she says.

I shake my head, "I'll drive myself."

She nods and I walk to the other side of the house towards the garage. That is where I acquire the golf cart and drive to the lake which I did not know we had.

I park the golf cart about 80 feet away because I don't want it to fall into the lake.

As I walk up I see Urban smoking a cigarette while looking out into the lake which is very large. From what I can see there are no other houses bordering it.

Urban looks over to me and tries to hide the cigarette.

"I already saw it. You are doing nothing wrong as far as I can see," I say as sit beside him on the bench.

He asks, "How did you know where I am?"

I say, "Mother snitched on you."

He shakes his head and starts laughing.

"Did mother tell you about this whole thing in advance?" I ask.

He shakes his head and says, "No, I was told there would be a driver at my house and that would be the end of that."

I nod, saying, "She didn't tell me either. I was told to get ready and look presentable."

Urban laughs, "Have you heard from dad."

My expression drops as I remember our last conversation.

Urban notices and asks, "What's wrong?"

I shake my head, "It's nothing."

He puts his arm around me and says, "I'm not Eden, Isaiah, or even Otto. You can tell me things, I assure you I will not go run off and tell mother or father. I barely have a relationship with our father."

I look up to him and say, "You're the best older brother anyone could ask for."

He shakes his head, "I disagree, you make my job quite easy."

I smile and hug him.

I ask, "Have you ever thought of what your life would be like if you weren't born into a wealthy and prestigious family?"

His eyes squint as he thinks, "I don't think I have."

I say, "Well I have, many many times. It is quite desirable, at least to me."

Urban says, "It does, now that I think about it. I believe there to be a lot less pressure to be so perfect, to marry, and to carry on the legacy."

"Stella knows a girl who was born into a middle class family. She is already married, she lives in Australia, has two kids, and has a stable job. She never graduated college and she is making a lot of money. Her husband never went to college and he is now an electrician. They both work hard but they are happy. Do you not wish to have that happiness also?" I ask.

He sighs, "Unfortunately sister we were not handed that card. Now shall we go see what our siblings are doing, the ones who claim to be happy."

I laugh and nod, "Yes, I am driving back though."

He shakes his head, "Not a chance."

We both race to the cart but he ends up winning.
I sit in the passenger seat with my arms folded and a defeated frown on my face.