74- If You Could See

Luke led Anakin through the halls of the deathstar with surprising ease. It was like muscle memory.

He could feel a sense of dread in the air. That could only mean one thing.

"Father..." Luke said, stopping in his tracks.

"You're not talking to me, are you?" Anakin questioned.

Luke shook his head, "This isn't good. He knows I'm here".

Anakin looked around for a moment, "I feel nothing".

"You will" Luke said, looking at Anakin, "This really isn't good".

"Hey, its alright. I'm here with you. You're not doing this alone anymore" Anakin said placing a hand on his shoulder.

"Truthfully father... that is what I am worried about" Luke said.

Anakin squinted his eyes in a questioning way, but nodded and looked away.

"This way... I'm sure of it" Luke said, gesturing towreds a door.

Anakin followed after Luke as he weaved through doors avoiding stormtroopers and R2 units that probably would have alerted the ship.

Then he heard it. It was faint but it was unmistakably the slow and mechanical breathing of Darth Vader.

Luke turned to Anakin who looked a bit concerned when Luke stopped. Luke reached over and threw the hood of Anakins cloak over his face.

He spun around and ran to the corner where he could he the slow beat of footsteps approaching. Like the beat of a death drum.

"I know that you are there" Darth Vader said, "if you come out and show yourself... perhaps I will spare your life".

Luke raised a finger to his lips, and turned to round the corner, lightsaber firmly in hand.

The steps stopped and there stood Darth Vader as he remembered him. The black mask that had reveled his family and destiny.

"Father..." Luke said raising his head.

"You have grown... strong" Vader said, "And you... are not my son".

"How could you know that for sure father?" Luke asked, "You are my father and I am your son".

"What are you doing here?" He asked.

"I can't tell you that" Luke said, "please father... let me go and forget this".

"I must obey my master" he said, "You have to come with me"

"You were once a kind man... a loving husband to... Padme" Luke said and Vader tensed, "You were once Anakin Skywalker. That is who I see and he is my father".

"That name... my son, has no meaning to me" Vader said.

"It is the name... of your true self. The person you hide behind the mask. The person who truly does not want me trained by Emperor Palpatine" Luke said.

"Perhaps you are right... but it's to late for me now" He said.

He ignited his lightsaber making Luke back up. Luke ignited his own weapon.

"Who is here with you?" Vader questioned.

Luke gave a look to Anakin who was still against the wall. He looked at Luke with concern.

"No one" Luke said, placing his weapon in front of him.

"There is someone here" Vader said, raising his hand at Luke.

Luke rolled out of the way as Vader approached him. Anakin stepped out blocking Vaders path to Luke.

"Stay away" he said, whipping out his weapon.