Chapter 23: Second Date

Start from the beginning

"Y-yeah, I'm fine. Uh. I wanted to talk to you."

His face changed and he nodded, letting me pull him off to the side, away from the crowds of students.

"Are you alright, Olive?" He asked, his eyes looking at me softly.

"I... oh god, I don't know how to say it..."

I could feel my heart damn near beating out of my chest as my brain struggled to find the words to put this nicely.

"You're going to tell me we can't be together."

My eyes moved from the floor up to meet Garreth's and he had a sympathetic look on his face.

"It's alright. I think I've known it's been coming for a while." Garreth smiled softly at me.

"What?"

"Grace Pinch-Smedley has been telling people you and Sebastian have been a thing for a while. Apparently saw you both snogging in the common room late one night. I didn't want to believe it but I think deep down I always knew she was right."

I felt my stomach drop as I realised perhaps Sebastian and I weren't as discreet as I thought we were. And that not one person had the decency to tell me Grace was spreading rumours around about us.

"Garreth, I'm so sorry... I never meant to hurt you, I... didn't mean for any of this to happen." I said, my voice laced with the guilt I felt knowing he knew I was stringing him along.

"It's fine, Olive. Truly. I had a great time with you but I think I always knew your heart wasn't in it. But I would love to still be your friend. It's been nice having someone to walk with."

I released the air I was holding in my lungs, a sense of relief washing over me, though my soul still held onto the guilty feeling.

"You're not mad at me?"

"Not at all! Navigating feelings can be hard but I'm glad you were able to figure it out."

"Thank you, Garreth. I truly am sorry."

"Don't mention it," he said, pulling me into his arms and enveloping me in a comforting hug before bidding my farewell with the promise to invite me on another morning walk soon.

Later that evening, I found Sebastian sitting by the fireplace in the common room, engrossed in a book. Not surprising. I approached him and sat down, almost sitting directly on his lap I was so close.

"Hey," I said softly.

He looked up from his book and smiled at me. "Hey. Everything okay?"

"Yes, everything's fine," I replied. "I just wanted to tell you that I did it. I ended things with Garreth."

Sebastian's eyes brightened with a mix of relief and happiness. "You did? That's great, Olive. Thank you. How did he take it?"

"Actually... really well. Too well. There is something you should know."

He raised a curious brow and turned to face me, his forearm resting on the back of the lounge.

"Apparently he knew it was coming. Grace Pinch-Smedley saw us that night when we were sat here snogging. She's been telling people."

"That bitch! That's why she sat with me at Quidditch!" Sebastian exclaimed.

"What? You hate Quidditch?"

"Yes, usually but I went to the game to see you. And she just sat next to me which I thought was so random. But now it makes sense. She was spying on me! I suppose it probably ruined her theory when you were kissing Garreth on the pitch..."