55} Where's Jenna?

Everything came down all at once.

Murray ran out to find Joyce, Hopper, and Jenna, only to find Joyce standing near the exploded machine, crying.
"Where's Jim? Where's Jenna?" Murray had grabbed Joyce by the shoulders.
She just shook her head and continued to cry. Realization hit him fast that they were gone. Like, really, truly gone. Before either of them had time to cope, Russian guards flooded in and they had to push their feelings down in order to escape.

Up in Starcourt mall, Max was hovering over Billy just hoping he wouldn't die. She just wanted her brother to live and be better. She knew he could be better. She pleaded with him to stay awake as he whispered, "I'm sorry..." and died right beneath Max. Eleven tried her best to comfort her, but there was only so much she could do.

Out with Cerebro, Dustin and Erica saw over a dozen helicopters fly to the mall in a hurry, but there was nothing either of them could do to get there. Dustin just picked his walkie back up and tried to get in contact with his sister.
"Jenna? Please pick up. I want to know that you're okay. Just... just please answer if you can. Please Jenna... please. I need to hear your voice right now. Please!"

Back at the mall, soldiers got out of the helicopters and went into the mall and the Russian base. As they made their way through the base, they found Murray and Joyce and helped them get out.

As for the group in the mall, they got everybody outside and in safe hands with firefighters and paramedics. As Joyce and Murray emerged from the Russian base, Joyce found Will sitting in the back of an ambulance and ran straight to him, hoping he was safe and it would distract her from the two losses she witnessed just moments ago. It was all too much for her to comprehend, and she just wanted a warm hug from her son.

Steve had been pacing back and forth outside of an ambulance waiting for Hopper, Joyce, Murray, and Jenna to emerge from the base. He saw Joyce and Murray come out, but no one else. He saw that Joyce was busy with Will, so he ran over to Murray, against the calls of paramedics telling him to stay at the ambulance.

"Murray?" Steve said, shakily, "Where's Jenna?"
Murray opened his mouth, but quickly closed it again. He started to tear up and eventually got out, just above a whisper, "She's gone."
"What? She- she can't be gone. She can't be dead. She promised me she would come back." Steve quickly turned into a complete mess in denial. His hands were in his hair, tears were starting to streak down his face through the many layers of blood and soot.
This can't be real. This can't be real. He's lying. She's gonna come up in the elevator in no time. Just watch.

At the same time as Steve, Eleven was having a breakdown of her own. When she saw Joyce but not Hopper, she got worried. Just the look of pure sadness Joyce gave El said it all. Her dad was gone.

As for Dustin and Erica, they were found by some of the soldiers and brought to Starcourt. Erica, for the first time ever, voluntarily ran to her brother for a hug. Dustin was frantically looking around for his sister. He couldn't find her anywhere. At one point he found Steve and felt a bit of relief. That feeling was quickly snapped when he saw Steve bawling his eyes out in the middle of the parking lot with Robin at his side.

He ran over to them, concerned out of his mind.
"Robin?" Dustin said, "What happened? Where's Jenna?"
Robin didn't answer.
"Robin!? Where the hell is my sister!?"
"She didn't make it out, Dustin," Robin whispered, having a hard time believing her own words.
"What do you mean? She said she'd be okay. I- I gave her my hat for good luck. She... she can't be dead. She can't!"