20} Hospital Visits and Fixing Friendships

Jenna woke up to beeping around her.
What the hell is that noise?

"Hey," A voice said, "You're awake."
Steve?

It was in fact Steve. He was sitting in a chair right next to her bed holding her hand in his.
"Steve?" She asked, "Where am I?"
"I was driving you to the hospital, remember?"
"Oh, yeah. Did they find Will?"
"Yeah, we're waiting for him to wake up."
"Well, I want out of this bed, then," She told Steve as she started to sit up.
"Whoa," He said, "Slow down. You fucked up your arm pretty bad, Jen. You need to rest."
"No," She demanded and tried to rip the IV out of her arm.
"What is going on in here?" A nurse walking by asked, "Sweetie, you can't do that."
"I want out. I want to see Will. You bandaged and stitched my arm up so I'm all good," Jenna told her.
"I'm afraid I can't let you leave," The nurse said to Jenna.
"Get Hopper," Jenna spat out.
"What?" Steve asked.
"Get him. He'll understand."

Steve walked out of the room and brought Hopper back with him.
"Hop," Jenna please, "You have to help me get out. I just want to see Will."
"Kid, I don't know if it's the best idea," He replied hesitantly.
"Please," She asked, "I'll be fine. You know me. I just want to see Will. Please."
"Nurse!" Hopper called out to the hallway, "Let Miss Henderson out. I'll watch after her in the waiting room."
"But..." She started.
"I'm the chief of police. She wants out, so let her out," He commanded.

A few minutes later, Jenna was walking free and ran to her little brother out in the waiting room. She pulled him in for a tight hug, ignoring the throbbing pain coming from her arm.
"Are you okay?" She asked him, "Are you hurt at all? What happened?"
"I thought you died," Dustin whispered into her shoulder, petrified.
"It takes a lot more than a scratch from an interdimensional being to kill me, Dust."
"I'm just glad you're alive."
"Me too, Dust. Me too. So, where's Eleven?"
Dustin went silent for a moment before saying, "She's gone."
"What?"
"She finished off the demogorgon and disappeared with it."

Jenna didn't know what to say. She just gave Dustin one last squeeze, kissed the top of his head, and walked over to hug the other boys. Mike was happy to accept Jenna's hug and Lucas ran into her arm glad to see her alive and walking.
"That's gonna be one gnarly scar," Lucas told Jenna, pointing to her arm.
"Yeah," She responded, "I guess it will."
"Hey, Jenna?" She heard Steve ask her, "Could I talk with you out in the hall for a sec?"
She nodded and followed him out.

"What, Steve?"
"I just wanted to say that I'm really sorry."
"You've already said that."
"I know, but I just want my best friend back. I dropped Tommy and Carol as friends and yelled at them for being mean to you. I even went back to the movie theater and scrubbed the sign clean. I just... I want to go back to how things were. I want to be how I used to be. I want us back, Jen. That's all I really want. You really, uh, knocked some sense into me back in that alley way and I just want us back."
"Steve, more than anything, you need to fix things with Jonathan and apologize to your girlfriend. Then, maybe we'll talk about getting things back to normal, okay? And you're just salty that you lost a fight to me of all people."
"Yeah, yeah. You know, I really thought you were gonna die in my back seat tonight. I wouldn't know what to do if I lost you, Jen."

Jenna stood there a minute really thinking things out.
I guess the cut was worse than I thought. I can't believe I almost bled out in Steve's car, my god!

"I don't know what I'd do if I lost you. I'm just glad that Nance and Jon didn't get hurt."
"You need to think about your own safety, too, Jenna."
"Shut up. Just give me a hug, you big ass."
Jenna opened up her arms and Steve walked right into them. They stood there hugging for a few minutes in silence just enjoying the other's presence.