31} Electrifying Fighting

"Oh, yeah," Steve said as the three arrived at the junkyard and he started surveying the land with his sunglasses on, "Yeah, this will do. This will do just fine. Good call, Hendersons."
"Give me those," Jenna snatched the sunglasses off his face. "Those are mine. You've had them since July and you're overusing them."
"Fine, take them. I'll find my own pair then."
"Please do."
Jenna put them on her face and really saw the appeal.
I see why he likes them. Makes you feel like a bad-ass.

The two of them sprinkled a bit more meat leading to the center of the junkyard, then dumped what was left in their buckets in the center to have Dart end his journey there.
"I said medium-well!" A voice yelled from a distance.
The Hendersons looked up to see Lucas with Max just at the edge of the junkyard. Jenna elbowed Steve and he looked up, too.
"Who's that?" He asked Jenna, referring to Max.
"That's the girl," She explained.
"Ohhhh... What's her name?"
"Max. I like her."
Steve gave her a small smile, happy-ish given the current situation.

Lucas and Dustin wandered off behind an old car to have a private discussion while Steve, Jenna, and Max started to set up the junkyard how they needed it. Jenna had grabbed some scrap metal and entered the old bus that the kids had been hiding from Hawkins Lab in about a year ago. She was up on the roof securing a lookout spot for whoever was going to need it. As she went back down the ladder, she came face-to-face with Steve.

"I have a question, Jen. Please be honest with me."
"Shoot, Harrington."
"Where is Nancy?"
"Steve I-"
"Please, Jenna. At least tell me if she's with Byers or not."
"Yeah, Steve. She's with Jonathan and Alice. They're working on something about Barb. I can't really say more than that because I don't really know more than that. Anything else?"
"I guess not."

"Oh, Steve?"
"Yeah?"
"If things go to shit while we're here, promise me that you'll keep the kids safe? Don't worry about me, I'll be able to handle myself."
"Jenna, how could I not worry about you?"
"Just try not to, okay? I have a bad feeling like things are going to go to shit here, and I know that I can protect myself and the kids a bit. So, you worry about yourself and the kids, and I'll worry about myself and the kids, got it?"
"I guess."
"Good, now let's finish this up before it gets dark."
"Let's go then, shall we?"

Jenna and Steve linked arms as they sauntered out of the bus, trying to find more wood and scrap metal.
"Hey shitheads!" Jenna yelled at Dustin and Lucas. "How come the only two helping out around here, other than me, are my best friend and the cool child. I'm gonna disown you two if you don't start pulling your weight. Now, GET TO WORK!"
"Yes, ma'am," Lucas muttered and Dustin replied with, "Right on it, sis."

Jenna unlinked arms with Steve and walked over to Max.
"Hey," She started off, "I'm guessing Lucas told you about everything then."
"Yeah, I don't really believe him, though. Do you believe this stuff?"
"I mean, I've lived through it, so yeah. I do believe it because I've seen it with my own two eyes and come face to face with it."
"What? It's not just Lucas who believes this bullshit?"
"Nope. Now, let me help you prop this metal sheet up. This is definitely a two person job."
"Thanks...
"Anytime, Mad Max. Anytime."

~

Everything had been set up: the bus was fortified, Steve had poured gas from the meat pile to the bus, weapons were in hand, and they had lookout all set.
Let's kill this motherfucker.

Everyone was now sitting in the bus with Dustin next to Jenna, Steve across from the two, Lucas up on the roof on lookout, and Max near the ladder. It was already dark at this point and the group had been waiting in the bus for about an hour at that point. It was mostly silent except for the sound of Jenna and Steve throwing the lighter back and forth. Jenna ended up burning her hand, like twice, but it was better than being bored. She would've been listening to her radio if it wasn't dead. Dustin got up and started pacing.