32} Laying it All Out

"This is absolutely humiliating."
The group was walking back to Steve's car on the railroad tracks, well, except for Jenna. Her leg wasn't really supporting her weight up well, so Steve decided to carry her.

"Well, it's not my fault you can't walk," Steve looked down at her.
"Can we get back to Jenna trying to explain shit?" Lucas asked, annoyed.
"Oh, yeah," Jenna told them, "Sure. So, my mom was apart of the MKUltra experiments years back when she got pregnant with me. As soon as she found out she was pregnant, though, she stopped the experiments. Unfortunately for me, when I was born, Hawkins Lab found out, pieced together the timeline, and figured out that I was 'special'. Mom wouldn't let them take me from her, so they just made up a lie and bribed some doctors to tell her I was sick and the lab was the only place that could help me due to the MKUltra stuff.

"I would go 3 times a week, Steve and Dust, you guys probably remember me having to leave for appointments when we were younger. Anyways, they'd run tests on me for a couple hours and essentially use me as their tester. They'd run the experiments on me first that they didn't have any information on to see how they reacted with my system. If it went badly, they wouldn't do it on their actual kids that they put all of their hope in. If it went successfully, they'd use it later on the kids they needed it for.

"One type of test they'd constantly run on me was stuff to do with electricity and running it though my system. I'd be hooked up to a machine and they'd run a current through me for hours. That's why I can do what I can do. Eventually, they didn't need me anymore; they'd finished using me. So, they just let me go thinking I was a failed product and wouldn't be able to actually do anything plus, I was so young they thought I wouldn't remember anything. I mean, when they'd test my overall abilities, I'd pretend like I was useless, so what else were they to think? The only thing they ever got out of me was I created the initial riff to open the gate. After that, I caught onto their scheme and pretended like I couldn't do anything else. There was one experiment who caught interest... but he's not important, sorry. They told my mom that they helped me overcome my illness and left it at that."

"Why are you number 1?" Max asked.
"Because I was the first one they were willing to run experiments on," Jenna explained.
"And Eleven is like you then?" Max tried to piece more answers together.
"Yes and no. She's a lot stronger than me. I have to feed off of things like outlets and power lines to build back up my stamina while she can recharge on her own. I mean, I was just their guinea pig, so I'm not that strong. I also can't shadow walk like she can. I can get to the parallel plane in my mind, but I can't communicate that well nor can I stay there long. All I can really do is get into people's dreams. It takes less energy from me and gives me a bit more control."

"Jenna, why didn't you tell me this?" Dustin wondered.
"It wasn't safe," She told him.
"But I'm your brother."
"I know, Dust. It was for your safety. I didn't want anyone from the lab to find out that I could actually do stuff, so I just never told anyone. Then all of the stuff happened last year and I just got... scared."
"You could've told Steve and I. I'm your brother and he's your best friend. We wouldn't have ever told anyone, Jenna."
"I know, but I was just trying to protect you guys. At least you know now."
"I guess."
"You looked really cool fighting out there," Max changed the topic, slightly.
"Thanks, Max."
"Yeah, you looked like Thor! My sister is the female Thor!" Dustin added, looking so proud to be related to Jenna.
"It was hot..." Lucas whispered, but was cut off by Max stomping on his foot. "Ow..."

"I need to try and feed off of the power lines now. I feel way too weak," Jenna sharply inhaled as she readjusted herself in Steve's arms.
"Do what you need, Jen," He told her, holding her close in an attempt  to help comfort her.
"Alright, Imma tap out for a minute and just relax. Quick question before I do, why are we headed to your car? I told you the demogorgons probably ran off to the lab, let's just go there."
"We need to get you to a hospital."
"No, we need to help get rid of those things. As much as I hate the lab, I'd go back to help if people are dying. Dr. Brenner is dead, so the person I hate the most isn't there. Let's go there."
"We already talked, and we're going to the car."
"Fine." Jenna crossed her arms in anger, then tilted her head back over Steve's arm to just absorb as much electricity as she could and ground herself.