Losing A Step

A early turn in to sleep for the Fortunes, the room is pitch black with the white noise of a box fan whirring setting them to sleep. Until a squeak of the floorboards wakes up the veteran Samira.

She sits up, listening closely. Quietly waking up her wife,

"Sarah...someone's here." She whispers

She nods and gets out of bed

They each grab their handgun from their respective nightstands.

They stand on each side of the door, Sarah opens the door and backs into cover. Hearing the floor squeal again gives them a general bearing of where the invaders are.

They hear the footsteps approach the door way, the Fortunes nod at each other and both hit the person coming through the door with the handles of their pistols. The remaining members fire off shots.

Samira and Sarah return some shots, Sarah tries to relocate but catches a bullet to the stomach. Launching her onto her back.

Samira screams

"Sarah No!"

Samira fires shots into the door way as she walks closer, hitting each intruder with quick precision. Eliminating all the threats.

"Sarah baby you're okay" Samira says as she runs to wrap a shirt around her lovers stomach, trying to patch the wound.

"Let's go!" She says as she carries the body down to her car and floors it to the hospital.

Your phone ended up under your pillow, being woken up by a text. You try to read it, the sudden bright light blinding you. Once your eyes adjust you read,

"Its Sarah, go hospital"

The horrible grammar instantly indicates she was in a rush.

You instantly throw yourself out of bed and get dressed

"Shit shit shit no no no" you say to yourself as you gather your things to leave.

"Y/n"

"Babe"

"What?"

"Y/n what's going on?"

You completely ignore your lovers inquires as you bolt out the door and down to your car.

After a five minute drive that legally should have been a 15 minute drive, you arrive at the hospital.

"Uhm...Sarah Fortune, what room is she in please?" You say out of breath, talking to the receptionist.

"Room 279, ma'am" she says calmly

"Thank you" you say as you quickly walk, trying to find the room.

You stop once you enter the room, seeing a crying Samira holding Sarah's hand with both of her hands.

You run to Samira's side to hug her,

"Y/n baby, I'm so glad you're here" Samira says with tearful relief as she hugs her daughter.

"What happened Momma?"

"Some guys broke in and she got shot, she's gonna be okay. It didn't hit any arteries or vital organs, the pain just put her shock and knocked her out"

Samira looks at you with genuine fear in her eye which shakes you to your core, the woman you've only known as unbreakable is shattered into a million pieces. The image of a fearful Samira is forever imprinted into your mind.

"It's okay Mamman" you say, gently rubbing Samira's back.

"I've never been so scared before" Samira whines into your shoulder, sobbing profusely.