Chapter 40-Beth-Rescue

Hyperventilation steals my breath. I'm scared especially for Micah. Dante's back and he has Andrew with him. If anything happens, Micah will be outnumbered.

"I wasn't expecting to see you so soon..." I hear Dante say and I start to listen. "The information we those ediot should have kept you locked up by now."

"You, tipped the cops off?" Micah states undoubtful.

"Paige was spying on you, and I fed the police the info that she gave me about your little investigation. It's a shame you got so close to the truth before you could uncover all of it."

"I don't know you. What's your issue with me?"

"Well, let me fill you in on the missing facts then. You don't know me, but I know you very well. Remember Lucas?"

The room goes silent before Dante says, "I can tell by the look on your face that you don't, well, he's our brother. Mine and Paige."

"Paige don't have a brother. She grew up alone... with her mother." Micah says and it surprises me. I thought he knew Paige had a brother who's crazy like her.

"A mother we all shared. After you got Lucas locked up, she got sick and-"

"Spare me the details and get to the fucking point dick head! I don't know who Lucas is or what your issue is with me!"

"You still don't remember him?!... He was the one Eric chose after you chickened out looser! He got locked away because of you! And because of you, they killed him in prison. Does that ring a bell?" Dante spits furious.

"What does that have to do with me? Take your malice up with Eric. He was the leader."

"You're the reason Lucas stepped in, so I think I have the right person. I also think it's fair that Paige killed your parents. Call me crazy, but tit-for-tat...and all that."

That's low, even for Dante. I can't imagine how Micah feels knowing that the person he grew up with killed his parents.

"How is Beth involved in any of this?" Micah's voice sounds steady, but I hear how ready he sounds.

"Speaking of, where is she?" Dante asks.

"And where is Paige?" Andrew chimes in.

"I don't care for Paige. Beth's locked in the bathroom behind me." Micah tells them coolly and business-like.

"Andrew, find Paige!" Dante barks. "I won't let you have her. Beth's mine!"

"If you want her. Come get her." Micah says in a dangerous low tone.

It causes the hair on the back of my neck to rise, and goosebumps begins to bead my skin. Even though I have every confidence that Micah can protect me, instincts kick in and I start looking around the bathroom for something to protect myself with.

A crash against the door makes me jump then I hear Dante screech before more movements come. In a frenzy, I start rummaging through cupboards and my hands knock over the items in one. A medicine bottle falls out and the red label says, 'sleeping aide'. I just have enough time to process that Dante's been using it to keep me asleep.

Another crash and then grunting comes and I panic more because the only thing in the room that can be used as a weapon is the shower head. Not thinking, I unhook it and hold it like a gun in front of me, then I wait for something to happen.

***Micah***

Dante rushes towards me and I welcome the attack.

His strikes connect well with my jaw, but then I twist shoving him to the door. He head-butts me the same time I knee his gut, and I miss the picture frame he drew off the wall and it comes crashing down on head. Twisting again, I shove him away from the door.