Chapter 36-Beth- Uncovering Secrets

My phone vibrating on the nightstand makes me swing my hand out from under the warm covers to make it stop. It's Mom calling.

"Do you know how early it is?" I whisper down the line, so I don't wake Micah.

"I'm sorry Beth...did I wake you?"

"Mom, we wouldn't be talking if I were asleep. What's up?"

"You missed few bookings recently, and I've been calling since yesterday to find out why. Are you okay?"

"Mom, it's..." I pause to check the time. "Six in the morning. Can't this wait?"

Because I already know her answer, I get out of bed and put on one of Micah's shirts, then dig my feet into the woolly winter boots he got me.

"Can you talk Beth?" Mom asks saddened.

"Of course- what's wrong?"

"I think Andrew is cheating on me," she blurts woeful.

This topic is not unusual, but my heart drops for my mother. "Hold on mom, I'm going somewhere where I can talk more privately."

I don't want to talk about my mom's cheating husband inside the house in case someone hears me, so I leave the bedroom, and before shutting the door, I gaze at Micah hating that I'm leaving his warmth, but my mother needs me.

On the way to the porch, I grab Micah's woolly jacket and few blankets then go sit in my favourite spot.

"Sorry it took so long mom, what were you saying?"

"I think Andrew is cheating on me."

"What makes you think that?"

"Well sweetheart... when your husband leaves home without a word every Thursday then comes back home smelling like perfume, it's kind of a big clue."

Not again, mom haven't been married a full year yet and already she's having troubles in her marriage.

"I know this might be a dumb question to ask, but are you sure?"

"Beth don't be so foolish. I taught you better. Yes! I'm sure. I found evidence that he is."

"What did you find?"

"Well, he always brings back bread and other pastries after his visits. At first, I thought it was nothing, but then I dig deeper and found receipts for a bakery outside the city."

Honestly, I feel like laughing. "Mom that means nothing. So, what if the man gets you bread? The perfume thing could just be him mixing with his female employees."

It might look like I'm sticking up for Andrew, but I'm not. I just don't want mom to worry over stupid things. She just got married, so I don't want things like bread and perfume to ruin her honeymoon period.

"Darling, I checked his bank account, he spends a lot on bread, and let me tell you something, I've tried it. It's not worth it."

"Have you tried talking to him Mom, maybe it's nothing. Maybe he has investments in the bakery.

"Honey, you and I know investment doesn't work that way. Don't take up for him, you don't know him."

Mom's right, I don't know Andrew. I've never even met the man. I should slate him instead of sticking up for him.

"But have you mom?"

She frowns down the line then say, "no."

"Then how do you know that he's cheating on you? I think you should confront him, Mom."

"I would darling, but it's Thursday today, he's already gone."

"Why did you let him leave without talking to him first. Isn't that what married people do?"