Chapter 39- Micah- Found

I'm relieved that Beth called but worry takes over. She sounds upset. "Are you ok?"

"I'm sorry Micah. I had to leave. I made my decision and...I don't want you."

I hear tears in her words and her slight sniffs makes dread pass through me. Something isn't right. "Where are you, Beth?"

"Please don't chase after me Micah."

"Why are you crying? Are you ok?" I question looking down at my phone. A few quick taps bring up a tracking app and I start to trace the number that she's calling from.

Sniffing again, she says, "I'm fine. I think I'm coming down with a cold or something."

She's lying. "Baby, tell me what's wrong and I'll fix it-" I stop because I hear something move in the background, so I zone in to listen.

"I'm fine."

"Why are you running then?"

"I don't want to be with you Micah, and you won't let me go."

I hear movements again. It's like she's on speaker and someone's listening to our call. I only have to keep her talking for a few more seconds than I'll get a lock on her location.

"What made you change your mind?"

"The last time we spoke you said you were trying things out with Paige. She loves you, and I think you should be with her. Leave me alone. This is the last time that I'll tell you."

The sweet lie falling from her lips is the sign I need that she's not alright. The last time we spoke, we talked about us, where she told me she wasn't going to run.

The location that I'm waiting for pops up. She's forty-five minutes across the city. "Fine Beth. If that's what you want, I'm cool with it."

A moment passes then she sniffs, "goodbye Micah."

I don't hang up. I continue to listen and before the line goes dead, I hear ruffles as she passes the phone to someone.

***

I'm riding like a maniac, jumping lanes and speeding through traffic. When I hit the motorway, I push my bike to its full limit and break all speed restrictions. Halfway in the journey, a beep sounds in my helmet, and I tap it to answer my phone.

"Slow down, you're going too fast." Bradley says.

When I take a quick glance in the rear-view mirrors, I see our range rover speeding towards me.

"Beth's in trouble and I need to find her."

"That's why we're here. Sevyne traced her phone. We found it in pieces outside Paige's bakery. Riot also got word from the owner who runs the boutique from across the street and Beth was seen getting into a car there. Sev tapped the security feeds to see what happened and a guy took her. We looked him up and his name is Dante. He's the original owner of the car that we're looking for too, and guess what-- he and Paige are half siblings."

I only pick out the most important detail from the information. Dante took Beth, then, I try to figure out the rest. I don't recall Paige having any brothers.

"You won't like what you're gonna hear next," Bradley says trying to brace me in.

"What is it?" I clip.

"Paige was driving the car that ran your parents off the road. Sevyne got the feed."

I almost skid off my bike hearing that. Bradley has no reason to lie but I can't believe what he just said.

"Slow down Micah!" he warns again and I do the opposite and speed up.

"We know why Dante took Beth too. Unofficial word is, she's being held at ransom for ten million pounds and you're not gonna guess who's behind it."