|01|

A U R O R A

Now, if a year ago you would've told me that I'd be sitting down on my bed with a West Beverly Academy letter in my hand, id laugh in your face. No- id wheeze.

But right now? Even my own eyes can't believe this. All I wanted was to get my morning coffee but instead I was met with a pack of letters at the front door. And one of them had 'West Beverly Academy' written boldly on it as if it wanted me to see it.

So, here I am, staring at the letter.

A part of me knows I got in. I know I did. I just didn't want to go.

I had applied as a joke last year just for the sake of my mother. 'It'd be so great for you, Rory. For college, jobs. Apply for me,' she said. So I did.

Except now she's dead so it wouldn't matter because I did it all for her. Now she's gone. What difference would it make?

But for her? I felt like I had to go. I was one to believe in fate and this? Is it really fate?

So, with shaking hands I tear the thing open and as soon as my eyes hit on the 'congratulations', I sigh. I got in.

No emotions take over. No sadness, happiness, shock. Nothing. I read the letter and huff.

Am I really contemplating this?

All I wanted was to spend my last senior year of high-school here in Manchester with my family. Before I would be gone for good. I'd go to college abroad and never come back.

Because what's good for me here?

Mom's dead. Eugene locks himself in his room all day and doesn't utter a word to me. He's only 14 and he's already acting this way.

Belle ran off to college after mom died and only texts me once in a while once she remembers I exist.

Dad got married to Victoria.

What the hell do I have here except for mom?

I wanted to reconnect with Eugene, get to know Victoria more. But maybe this is the better choice, isn't it?

But if I go now- its goodbye forever. I'll be off to college straight after. And Beverly is in London. That's four hours away from Manchester.

I'm too lazy and too broke to drive four hours every weekend. I sigh. I barely have time to decide.

I'm supposed to give an answer back by the 18th of January because school starts on the 25th. Its only the 11th.

I can't decide what I want to eat in a span of thirty minutes, how am I supposed to decide something that'll change my life forever?

I sigh and go down the stairs.

"Daaaad?" I yell. "Hes in the living room." Victoria answers.

"Thanks." I say. "Ooh, smells good. What are you making?"

"Hot chocolate. You want some?"

"Obviously." I shrug. I head to the living room and find my father with his eyes fixed on the TV, watching his weekly baseball matches.