Chapter 18: Lost Traditions

It was the first true winter in Arendelle since the gates had remained open. The streets and roofs were covered in fresh white snow, along with the land that surrounded the Kingdom. The servants of the castle were setting up decorations for the holiday season, that was about to be rung in for the year.

Kai held a basket of different tree decorations, since he was decorating three trees that were in the study of the castle. He was about to place one of the decorations onto a limb of the evergreen three that had no ferns on it.

Suddenly, Oalf came out of the tree with his twig arms in the air and startling Kai. "Surprise!"

Kai chuckled at the snowman. "Not yet, Olaf."

In another part of the castle, a group of some of the servants were carrying dishes to the ballroom while passing by suits of armor that were lined up in that hall. Olaf stuck his head out of one of the helmets, making them gasp and almost dropped the plates.

"Surprise!"

"Not yet, Olaf," Two of them said at the same time before the group continued on their way to the ballroom.

Later in the study, a noble was putting down a wrapped gift in blue paper in a large pile of other gifts. The gift, while wrapped resembled a large vase that had two arms and a part sticking out on the upper part of it.

"Surprise!" Olaf exclaimed while running up to the man from behind with the man falling into the gifts.

"Not yet, Olaf," The man sighed.

Anna then entered the ballroom of the castle a little later. There were two trees, fully decorated on each side of the door she came in from. The tables were set and decorated. There was also a buffet table in the center of the room. On the table, there was a layered ring cake called a kransekake. It was decorated in lines of glaze and small paper flags.

"Whoa!" Anna commented while entering the room. She looked around before going over to the kransekake and reached out to take a small piece. "Hello."

"Surprise!" Olaf cheered as he bursted out of the ring cake. His head fell off, but Anna was able to catch it while gasping at the sudden action.

"Olaf!" She playfully rolled her eyes. "Not yet!"

"Anna's right you know," Y/N called to them while walking down the stairs with Elsa next to him and Flurry on his shoulder. He wore a royal blue jacket that was just like his normal one, except for a fur collar. Elsa wore the same royal blue, but on an elegant dress that exposed she shoulders as a fur collar surrounded it. The two just felt like wearing similar outfits for the day. Flurry had an eye patch made from an old button to cover where his missing coal eye would have been.

"Our surprise holiday party doesn't start until after the Yule bell rings," Elsa added while waving her hand, making ice decorate the garland that was around the railing of the stairs. Y/N did the same with his hand as well, adding small balls of lightening to highlight the ice.

"Sorry, the suspense is tearing me apart," Olaf stated while Anna put his head back onto his body.

"Thank you!" Olaf told her, as the couple in the ballroom walked over to them.

"I'm excited too," Y/N agreed, the Flurry jumping onto Olaf's head.

"Hi Flurry!"

Anna nodded. "This is Arendelle's first Christmas in forever."

Elsa took the paper flag that had gotten stuck on the snowman's head off of it. "The first of many to come," She added.

Anna looked out of the window. "Elsa, look!" She excitedly stated. "They're arriving!"