23- Awake.

The sudden pain on my shoulder took me down. This pain is no stranger to me, my own brother was the first person to ever shoot me. I was ten and he was 25.

I wasn't scared for the pain, I was scared for Elise. Was she hurt? Did he shoot her too? Was she in pain?

"Caden? Cay! Talk to me." I could hear her voice. It sounded so angelic and so far away. Fading away. "Don't pass out now, Caden. Keep your eyes open, please, for me." She begged crying.

For her. For her I could take a thousand other bullets. For her I would shoot myself.

I'm trying my best to keep my eyes open, I know I have to. But my eyes never felt heavier.

"Aaron, put him on the back seat." I can hear Vincent saying.

"Are we going to the hospital?" Elise asks.

I didn't even notice them caring me to the car.

"No-no hospital." I manage to say.

"What do you mean? You need help!"

I shake my head, everything hurts so bad.

"I said, no hos-hospital." She rolls her eyes.

Even now she looks beautiful.

"Call Ben." Vincent tells Aaron. Ben was our personal doctor and old friend. "Tell him it's an emergency."

I was still fighting to stay awake, but I felt like sleeping would help with the pain, and I was so tired. Maybe if I close my eyes for a few seconds the pain will fade.

"No, no, no." Elise says. "Please don't close your eyes."

Elise was on the back seat with me, my head laying on her lap. She was caressing my black hair and crying.

I smile at the sight of her. If I die, I want it to be in her arms, with her holding me like this. Smiling, I give in and close my eyes.

*****

I woke up feeling like shit. This beep sound next to me was annoying me. I open my eyes slowly, blinded by the lights. I was in a hospital bed with needles on my arms and that stupid fucking beep.

My throat was so dry and I needed water desperately.

I recognize this room, it's our hospital. I was safe.

Ben walks inside and looks at me smiling.

"Damn it, I thought we finally got rid of you." He says and I smile. "Would you like some water?" I nod.

He hands me a glass of water and I drink it fast. Looking at my surroundings I see Elise sleeping on the couch next to my bed.

"How long has she been here?" I ask Ben.

"Her?" I nod. "Since you came back from surgery. It went well, by the way, you'll have to come back in a few weeks to take off the stitches. And rest until that. Take it easy."

I roll my eyes.

"How long was I out?"

"Five days, I got worried and so did she." Ben looks at the ground.

Five fucking days?

"She's been here for five days?" Ben nods.

"She only left to shower and change her clothes, she refused to eat and would come back immediately. Vincent tried to get her to sleep in her bed, promising he would be here but she refused. Said she wouldn't leave your side."

My heart melt at that. Elise cared. She cared about me.

I take all the needles and shit off me and walk to her on the couch. Easley, I get her on my arms.

"I just fucking told you to take it easy!" Ben complains.

"Shut the fuck up, and keep it down. My girl is sleeping." I tell him angrily.

I lay Elise on the bed and make my way next to her.

"You'll have to stay the night just to make sure you're good, tomorrow you can leave but come back next week for a check up." Ben says leaving us.

Elise slowly opened her eyes and smiles when she looks at me.

"Am I dreaming?" She asks in a husky sleepy voice.

"No, baby. You're not."

"Please don't scare me like that again." She cries a single tear. "I was so scared I would lose you when I just got you."

"I won't, baby." I kiss her forehead. "Are you tired?" She nods. "Sleep with me, then. Tomorrow we can talk."

"Goodnight, Cay." She hugs me tighter.

"Goodnight, my baby."