Chapter Twenty-Five

Beginne am Anfang

I just hoped that I did the right thing.
———————————————————————
The loud slam of the door behind me makes the boy look up from his laying position on his bed. Thankfully they got him a good bed and let him go to the bathroom across the hall.

I sit down on the ground, leaning my back against the wall as I frown at him. He has Luis's dark curly hair and that little freckle in his left eye.

"Luis?" I say, watching as he sits up quickly and his eyes start to water. He looks like he wants to run towards me but holds himself back.

"You remember me?" He asks a little hopeful.

I nod, swallowing against the dryness in my throat.

"You said you were going to come back for me and you never did. I waited five years for you to come back and you never did!" He spits his words, making me wince.

"I know." I whisper, looking at my hands. "He didn't hurt you, did he?" I ask with urgency, slightly wishing I took him with me but I know if I did Ansley wouldn't be where she is right now and neither would we.

"No," he scoffs, "he just completely forgot I existed. I had to take care of myself for five years." He says angrily.

"I know." I nod. "Your father is a awful man. I did the best I could do for you and Ansley. I'm sorry it took me so long." A tear escapes my eye and it's like a flip switched on because the next thing I knew was him rushing towards me and wrapping his arms around me.

I hug him back, rubbing my hand on his back as I feel his body shake slightly.

"I am so sorry." My voice breaks as I try to swallow my emotions before they get the best of me.

"No, I'm sorry. I know you did what you needed to do. At least we're together again." He mumbles, making my chest clench.

He pulls back and I get to see him. He's changed so much. His skinny arms has a little bit if muscles as his body as toned into a young man's body. His brown curly hair is longer and his face has gotten sharper.

"Alright, let's get you out of this room. We can have some breakfast and I'll introduce you to a few people then we'll get your room set up." I tell him before he stands and holds out a hand for me.

He's gotten taller as well, towering over me even at the age of 14. I shake my head, sighing.

I feel him grab my hand, making me smile before I start to walk out of the room. He stays silent, looking around the unfamiliar place for him.

"Mami! Roman won't let me have anymore syrup!"

I laugh slightly, tugging Luis with me as I walk further into the dining room. I see Roman looking at us in confusion as Ansley pouts, sitting on his lap. I didn't give him much of a explanation when I left him in bed.

"Good, you don't need to eat a lot of sugar." I tell her, sitting down and watching as Luis takes a seat beside me.

"Who are you?" Ansley asks, looking at him in confusion.

"I'm Luis." He mumbles, frowning slightly before he finds my hand again. I let him because I know he's never really met new people and I'm sure he's nervous.

"Hi, I'm Ansley! Mami, who's Luis?" She asks, looking at me with a scrunched confused expression.

"Luis is a boy I helped raise, he's like a son to me." I tell her and Roman, feeling Luis hand tighten around mine.

"I have a brother?!" Ansley squeals with wide eyes.

"Oh no! Not another one!" I hear Ralph groan loudly.

"Sí, my baby. Eso te hace feliz?" I ask, watching as she nods rapidly.
(Yes, my baby. Does that make you happy?)

"Yes! I still want my baby brother or sister though." She raise, raising her eyebrows at me while pointing toward me.

I nod and laugh slightly before glancing at Roman who stares at me with a small smile on his face. I love when he looks at me like that.

"Luis, this is my boyfriend, Roman." I tell him, smiling softly and it's definitely not because I called Roman my boyfriend. Pftt, no.

"Sorry about the whole basement situation." Roman says, nodding towards him.

"It's okay, I understand." Luis says, making me smile.

"That is Ralph and Tanner. Tanner is my trainer and friend and Ralph is... just Ralph." I say, pointing at the two of them.

"You know you love me, baby." Ralph puckers his lips, kissing the air.

"Trainer? What do you do?" Luis asks, looking at me with furrowed eyebrows.

I don't know what to tell him. I look towards Roman, asking the silent question of 'should I tell him the truth?', he just shrugs, leaving me to decide.

"Um, Roman is the boss of the Italian Mafia and I'm one of his soldiers. That's why you saw me because I was on a mission for him." I explain quickly. Better to rip off the bandaid.

"Oh, okay." He mumbles before he perks up. "Does that mean there's a gym here?" He asks, calmly but I can see the excitement in his eyes.

"Yes, I'll show you it. I'm normally in there at least once a day." I tell him before I hear Ansley screaming then watch as she, Tanner, and Ralph run out of the room.

Luis furrows his eyebrows and look at me in confusion.

"You'll get used to that."