Chapter One

Too much can happen in the span of 5 years and 6 months

Too much can happen in the span of 5 years and 6 months. The apocalypse or a meteoroid slamming into the earth, killing millions, if not billions.

The worlds a dangerous place. It doesn't intend to change and it isn't going too. I keep what's mine safe and that all I need to worry about for now. Safety is stability.

"Mami! Wake up!"

I groan, moving to my back but putting a hand over my eyes to block the light.

"Mami!" Ansley groans, straddling my stomach.

"I'm awake. You can stop screaming my name." I mumble, keeping my eyes closed.

"It's my birthday!" She squeals, tapping my chest.

My baby is turning five. We started off with a rough start before it hit rock bottom, but it's only up from there. 

She was 4 months premature, making her smaller than normal kids her age and height. She spent 2 months in the Nicu before coming home with me. Except home wasn't a safe place, so Mami moved to a safer home.

I'll cry about it later.

"I know. How old are you now?" I ask, finally removing my hand from my eyes to look at her. Her crazy curly, dark brown hair sits in one big rats nest at the top of her head as her dark brown eyes shine bright with excitement.

"5!" She exclaims, holding her hand up, showing all five fingers but adding her thumb from her other hand.

I raise my eyebrows before glancing at her hand, giving her a silent correction before she looks at her hand in confusion. I let her think about it before she finally gasps and takes away her other hand.

"Good. You hungry?" I ask, not getting an answer before she jumps off and walks quickly out of my room.

She sleeps with me even though she has her own room and her own bed. She likes to be near me, physically touching me or she won't sleep.

I lazily throw the comforter off of me before sitting up as I hear the pitter-patter of Ansley's feet running.

"Te he dicho que no corras." I warn as she skirts to a stop in the doorway. I'll get a noise complaint from the people below us and I can only get so many before we get evicted.
(I've told you not to run.)

"Lo siento, mami." She pouts, looking at the floor.
(I'm sorry, Mami.)

I stand before picking her up and placing her on my hip. I give her all I can and more. She is the one who deserves the most in the world. A sweet and fiery soul.

I place her on the couch before turning on the television to distract her, so I can cook her birthday breakfast.
———————————————————————
I sigh as I place the plate on the table.