36. Like This

"You say it's not supposed to be
Tell me not to waste my time
This was never up to me
But if it was I wouldn't mind
And I'm trying to ignore you
I try to go on with my day, hey
But I still pick up the phone, yeah
And get lost in what you say"

ℭ𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 36: 𝕷𝖎𝖐𝖊 𝕿𝖍𝖎𝖘

It's been over a month now since Christmas and everything is going well. Okay, as well as possible given the circumstances. Nicholas has been making sure to put some time aside for us, and we even go out for dinner from time to time or watch movies. I find it weird to be with him outside our usual routine, but it's good kind of weird. 

I don't ask much about his wife, but he does mention her from time to time. It always leaves a bitter taste in my mouth and I try not to comment on it. Stephanie... Such a sophisticated name. Nevermind. I don't want to acknowledge her existence. Once she is better and healed, we can talk about us, about a real relationship. Until then, I am condemned to sneaking around and counting hours until I could be alone with Nicholas. 

-You look beautiful... It amazes me how you can suddenly transform from an innocent nymph to a stunning goddess.- My laugh is loud and it interrupts the usual silence in Nicholas's apartment. Lately, I've been spending more time here even when he's not around since it's easier this way for us to meet. 

-Who knew you could be this cheesy? Honestly, Mister, your flattery won't work on me.- My cheeks hurt from smiling so much and I continued on with my work, making an updo for an event that I have today. The event is my best friend's wedding. Since the theme is a winter wonderland, Nicole wanted the bridesmaid's dresses to be baby blue, and mine, the maid of honor's, to be royal blue. I don't mind it, I actually like the dress and I think it looks good on me. The off-shoulder, satin dress with a slit is the perfect combination of classy and sexy.

Nicholas's hands wrap around my torso and it causes me to mess up my updo and tsk at him. 

-Look, if you won't help then don't sabotage me, it's the least you can do.- If I continue this way I will be late, and I'm the maid of honor, I can't be late. Yet here I am, a bit hungover since we had a couple of glasses of wine last night, and a bit tired from... Well... From certain activities after the wine.  

-You look so pretty, it makes me scared to let you go. Someone will snatch you away from me.- A pang of something appears in my heart and I stop my work to look at Nicholas's face through the mirror I'm using. 

-Then come with me...- I know it's a long shot. I even asked him once but he brushed me off and we switched the subject. However this time there is no way out, he is looking at me, and from his expression, I know what the answer is.

-I would love to but... It would be weird, also someone I know may be there. It would just complicate things.- Of course. I shouldn't be disappointed but I kind of am. So I only managed to nod before I got back to hair styling. I hear a sigh before Nicholas gently grabs my face and turns me towards him.

-Don't pout. It would be my greatest pleasure to walk there with you on my arm, you will without a doubt be the most beautiful woman there, and that includes the bride.- The last part he added with a playful whisper and I couldn't help but laugh at that. Even if it is just flattery and such an obvious one, I still find myself blushing. 

-I'm not. Pouting I mean.- Now it makes him chuckle against my lips as I said it with an obvious pout.

-If we had time I would find a way to erase that from your lips but you may murder me if I make you late.- That is true. I can be a bad friend but I don't want to disappoint Nicole. I should be there for her and help with everything.