8. True Colors

"You with the sad eyes, don't be discouraged. Oh, I realize it's hard to take courage. In a world full of people. You can lose sight of it, the darkness inside you can make you feel so small.

Show me a smile then, don't be unhappy. Can't remember when I last saw you laughing. This world makes you crazy, and you've taken all you can bear. Just call me up 'cause I will always be there. And I see your true colors, shining through. I see your true colors"

ℭ𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 8: 𝔗𝔯𝔲𝔢 𝔠𝔬𝔩𝔬𝔯𝔰

𝕊ooo... I'm playing with my fingers as I wait for Nicholas to speak. He's taking his time, looking through the window as if it's the most interesting thing he's ever seen. I'm sure he's doing it on purpose. He's probably waiting for me to snap and to ask him what he wants so he could yell at me and call me... What did he call me? I mean, he didn't insult me in an obvious way, if being called arrogant and pretentious isn't an insult. But let's put that away and let's say he meant it to be less offensive. Everything else about his dislike towards me was less subtle. 

So, here I am. Waiting, patiently may I add, for him to tell me why the fuck was he ignoring me for weeks. I was doing the bare minimum at work, and besides some boring paperwork and some material that Arthur got me to read, I wasn't doing anything useful. 

Nicholas finally turned towards me and I swear his eyes hold different emotions every time. It's surprising how easily he can make me squirm in my seat. Seconds ago I was annoyed and semi-calm and now... Now I'm a mess again. My heart is beating pretty loud and he's looking at me with... I'm not sure how is he looking at me, but I can't see anything good in his eyes. 

-Miss... I think it's time we have an honest talk. Surely, you have made your opinion of me and I can only guess it's not a nice one...- I opened my mouth to correct him and say something nice, since he is my boss, and I can't really say I dislike him, but his eyes narrowed to remind me to shut it.  Of course, how could I forget? He made it clear that when he's speaking I keep quiet. It must be some insecurity but who am I to judge? 

-Our perceptions of each other may be a bit... overreacted. To say it plainly, we got off on the wrong foot. Our personalities are apparently not compatible but that doesn't mean we can't make it work. For the sake of our future performance, I wish to make peace with you. - Wait, what? I'm staring at him like he has grown a second head and he is waiting for me to say something. 

Am... Can I speak now? I swear since his constant annoyance with me I'm not sure when it's okay for me to utter something. Nicholas slightly tilted his head as if he's observing me and my cheeks heated up a bit. It's strange sitting in front of someone and just staring in complete silence. Guess I can say something, it's even expected from me to speak. 

-I'm really grateful that you mention that, Mister Davis. On my part, I do not have any ill intentions or negative feelings, but... Since we are speaking sincerely, I hoped we could continue our professional relationship in a more... Mutual respectful way... - My heart stopped for a second waiting to see how will he take my words. They are a bit blunt but I really, really hate how he behaves towards me. He's always making me feel so little and it's annoying. I am a professional and I do my job with complete dedication, it's the most important thing to me, the only thing that matters to me right now... I wish he would treat me as his equal. 

To my surprise Nicholas smirked a bit, and lowered his head, pretending to cough in his fist but I saw that tiny smile. What does it mean? Am I amusing him?