16. Madness

"I, I can't get these memories out of my mind and some kind of madness has started to evolve. I, I tried so hard to let you go, but some kind of madness is swallowing me whole, yeah.

I have finally seen the light and I have finally realized what you mean. And now, I need to know is this real love, or is it just madness keeping us afloat? And when I look back at all the crazy fights we had like some kind of madness was taking control. And now I have finally seen the light and I have finally realized what you need, Mm"

I made my way to Virginia's office since my emotions are making me feel uneasy. Also, the conversation with Nicholas didn't help, I don't know if I should feel disappointed or ecstatic. To be honest with myself I feel a bit... blue. I thought that night meant something, I thought it was as memorable for him as it was for me. Yet he chose to see me as some pest, just bugging him for no reason. He can't be that unaffected, I just won't admit that. Maybe if I help him a bit, help him remember. I refuse to accept that nothing will ever happen between us. Whatever we have is far from over, I'll make sure of that. But first I need to talk to Virginia. I know it's not my place to meddle but I feel responsible as her friend. The least I can do is be someone for her to rely on.

I knocked on her door and got in before she answered only to catch her in a bit disturbing scene. She is sitting on her desk and Arthur is sitting on her chair but the atmosphere is very grim. This is what I've feared. I had some hunch on these two. It's not confirmed yet but I'm pretty sure Virginia is the reason why Arthur is going through a divorce. I mean if I was Arthur's wife I would feel threatened by Virginia. She is gorgeous and rather promiscuous, I would be scared of her near my husband. 

-Oh, I am sorry. I'll come back later.- I said it harshly and Arthur evidently flinch, his eyebrows slightly narrowing and his lips turned downwards.

-It's alright Violet, I'm leaving.- Arthur got up and sent me a slight smile before leaving, not sparing even a glance to Virginia and I couldn't stop myself from lifting my eyebrows in question. What was that? Did I get here in the middle of a lover's quarrel?

-Was I interrupting something?- I asked her with a hint of teasing in my voice but in reality, I feel slightly disgusted by Virginia's behavior. I mean, she must have heard the rumors yet here she is, with her long legs on display and alone with Arthur in her office. She is giving people a base for gossiping about her, and even worse, about Arthur.

-Don't be silly... Did you want anything?- Her tone is a bit stiff and I can see how soon she tried to change the subject that I wanted to address. She got down from the desk, smoothing her dress and taking her seat. 

-Well, it sure looked like I was interrupting...- I made my way to her and sat down in front of her, giving her my best serious face. She will not get away that easily. 

-What are you trying to say?! Just say it!- Her tone is abrasive and she crossed her arms under her chest, now glaring at me. 

-Why are you getting so defensive with me? I just said that it looked like I had something to interrupt there... - Now her glare only worsened and she grind her teeth, making a slightly scary face.

-Violet... I don't think you're thinking clearly, Honey. And to be honest, I don't like what you're insinuating.- Now I couldn't help but laugh out loud. I barely said anything and she already formed a counterattack. It smells like guilt. 

-Well, Honey... I barely said anything, calm down. If there is nothing for me to insinuate then I wouldn't be insinuating it.- She snickered at me and got up from her chair walking up and down her office.