| ³⁹

The slightest noises, such as the ticking of the clock, which she could hear from the living room to the kitchen, or the chirping of the birds outside, which normally sounded idyllic and soothing, the brunette just found them ten times louder than...

The slightest noises, such as the ticking of the clock, which she could hear from the living room to the kitchen, or the chirping of the birds outside, which normally sounded idyllic and soothing, the brunette just found them ten times louder than usual as she, filled with panic, sat across from her father, who was rocking his granddaughter in his arms. With a smug grin, he glanced at Cleo before turning his gaze back to the baby and gently rubbing her stomach. By now Mari has stopped crying and looked at the stranger with curiosity.

Only ten minutes had passed that had felt like hours. Cleo's pulse was still pounding like crazy, a big lump was lodged in her throat, and her body felt both petrified and jittery at the same time⸺ a weird mix if she had to judge. It wasn't possible for her to reach for her phone, which was too far away from where she sat. Also, her father's gun was still on the brown wooden table, along with a cup of coffee that he had asked Cleo for. She wouldn't risk him pulling his gun at her daughter again.

"Why are you here?", she asked calmly but firmly, her eyes bore into his dark ones. "You said we have to talk, so there has to be a reason."

"Can't you enjoy the silence for a moment?", the man groaned in annoyance, getting her all nervous again. Yet he sat up straight and put Mari back in the infant carrier before reaching into his pocket to get a bag with crystal out.

Cleo stared at the drug her father crashed to power on her kitchen table, her throat felt dry and yet her mouth started watering at the sight. She has been clean for over a year now. The brunette could easily give Abel his heart pills every day without feeling the need to swallow them herself or to crush them so she could sniff a line through her nose. But seeing her father do drugs in front of her, which was nothing new to her, ignited a certain craving⸺ something Carlos figured out quickly just by looking at her.

To be honest, he didn't do it entirely unintentionally. He could easily have waited a few more hours before snoring the next line through his nose, but he wanted to tease Cleo, making it difficult for her to resist the offer he was about to make. As sick as it was, he missed doing drugs with his little girl and forgetting about the world around him. They always had lots of fun when she stayed with him over the weekends and he wanted that back. Deep down he was a lonely man that craved love and affection. What he didn't understand was that he could've had that all if he would've been ready to change.

"Want a line?", he asked, holding out the bag with the crystal. "I remember how much you loved that stuff."

No matter how many times she swallowed, her throat kept drying out, but a light layer of sweat formed on her forehead. Her breathing became shallow as she clamped her hands tightly between her legs under the table to avoid grabbing the little bag.

"No thanks, I'm clean", she barely whispered, after which she cleared her throat and stared spellbound at the table so as not to have to look at the drugs that Carlos was waving around in front of her face with a shit eating grin plastered on his face.