| ³³

For the fifth time today Jax ran a hand over his face and leaned back in his chair with a deep sigh after Cleo told him about Gemma's little visit at Abel's school

For the fifth time today Jax ran a hand over his face and leaned back in his chair with a deep sigh after Cleo told him about Gemma's little visit at Abel's school. When he sent her away and threatened to kill her if she ever came back he actually believed that she would stay away and leave them alone.

But no, Gemma would always be Gemma and stick her nose into everything⸺ even if that meant death for her. And with her visit she had definitely signed her death warrant.

"You know what she wanted from Abel?", Jax asked after a while, his head now leaning against the back of the chair who stood at the head of the big wooden table with a reaper carved into the middle of it.

He decided to take Cleo to this room after she mentioned that she saw Gemma. In here they were undisturbed and no one could overhear what was going on.

Cleo heaved a sigh and shook her hand, a hand resting on her stomach. "Not really. I think she gave him something and just asked if he was alright."

"Alright, it doesn't matter anyway, she's gonna die", he said firmly, yet Cleo heard a hint of insecurity in his tone. Maybe she was just imagining it but maybe not. Killing your own mother wasn't something you ever recovered from. Maybe if you never met that woman, or if she was an absolute horrible person and abused her child from day one.

But before all of this, before Jax met Tara and then her, Gemma was a great mom. Always there for Jax, gave him everything he needed. Besides all the lies and the manipulation, Gemma was a loving mother in the past who only wanted the best for her son. Well, in her own weird way.

"You can't kill her, Jax", Cleo pointed out cautiously. "What she did was wrong and horrible and her being stupid enough to come back doesn't make things any better but, she's your mom."

"She almost killed my Old Lady. Our baby is dead because of her", he seethed, bending over the table a little so he could put a hand over hers that rested on her stomach. "Do you really think I still care about her?"

Cleo closed her eyes for a second, already regretting her next words. "Yes, I think you still care about her. You can hate her all you want, baby, but she'll always be your mom. It's the same with my dad. No matter what he does, I could never kill him."

"Because you're not like me, babe, which is good." He took her hand into his, running a thumb over the back of her hand. "She didn't listen the first time I threatened her. If I let her go this time, she won't learn her lesson. And I won't take the risk of her hurting you or our kids again."

As absurd as the situation was, a small smile formed on her lips. She loved how Jax called the boys their kids. He did that since a few months and she still felt her stomach do a flip when he called them theirs again. Only a few days after she told him that she was pregnant again, he took Abel aside and explained that it was okay if he wanted to call her mom from now on. And since that day Abel did exactly that, Thomas imitating his brother.