| ²⁶

After he slipped into his white Nikes, he turned around to face Cleo and cup her face in his hands

After he slipped into his white Nikes, he turned around to face Cleo and cup her face in his hands. It was the first time in days be would be gone for a few hours to handle some club business. At first he wasn't sure if he could leave her alone but when she told him Lyla and Dawn were coming over he was kind of relived.

"I should be back in a few hours. If you want I can pick you and the kids up later and we go to your mom's diner for dinner", he suggested.

"No", Cleo shook her head briefly. "We haven't cooked a meal in days. I think I should start doing normal stuff again. Cooking is a good distraction", she told him with a honest smile.

The only reason she got up in the last few days was because the kids needed to be taken care of. Sure, Jax offered to do it on his own but the brunette felt guilty quickly and decided it was better to help him with the kids and the chores.

Her mom, Enrico and Gemma offered their help, too. But Jax and Cleo weren't in the mood to have people around. They needed some time for themselves.

Katelynn and Enrico accepted their wish and didn't bother them, yet they told them to call if they would need anything. Gemma on the other hand stood in front of their door every single day⸺ sometimes even twice a day.

There was something about her that worried both Cleo and Jax. The older woman seemed to be upset about something. The smell of weed and booze was strong everytime she entered the house. And of course, no matter how difficult Jax' and Gemma's relationship was at the moment, he worried about her. So did Cleo.

Had they been to harsh with her? Maybe they should've given her more chances. Cleo just couldn't find a common ground and had no idea why Gemma disliked her this much. Although Gemma's behavior towards Cleo had changed since the accident.

The matriarch was a lot nicer, told her constantly how sorry she was for her about the miscarriage. Somehow it seemed like Gemma was suffering just as much as Jax and Cleo did. But why? Sure, it would've been her grandbaby but drowning herself in alcohol and smoking weed constantly, that didn't look like Gemma at all.

"You sure? Do you have everything you need or do you want me to send a prospect to get you all the stuff?", he asked. There was still a lot of concern in his tone. The blonde really tried not treating her like a raw egg but it usually didn't work out and he ended up getting all cautious again.

"Babe, I'm fine, okay?", she assured him and hushed him out of the door. Standing on her tip toes, she pecked his lips. "Maybe I'll go grocery shopping with the girls. Can't hurt to get out of the house again."

Jax heaved a sigh, pressing a kiss on the top of her head with his hand resting on the back of her head. "Alright. If you call and I don't pick up⸺"

"Then I give one of the guys a call, I know", she finished the sentence for him with the slightest mocking smile that made him laugh.