| ¹⁷

༄

. ༄. Cleo sat down at the table in Jax' kitchen while holding the cup of tea he made her firmly in her hands, enjoying how the cup warmed her hands. It wasn't cold, yet she was kind of freezing. If she would've lost more blood she would understand but that small amount she had lost wouldn't cause such symptoms as freezing and nausea.

Maybe it was the pain radiating from her nose into her head. The brunette had refused any pain medication knowing it would be way too early and would only cause her to relapse. It also could be the exhaustion or the fear how Jax would react to all of this in case he hasn't heard the full story from Tig before. Another question in her mind was bothering her. Was it better to be honest about her ex and what happened between them in the past? Probably, secrets were never good in a relationship.

"You sure you don't wanna lay down? You're paler than my wall", Jax told her in a concerned tone as he pulled a chair right in front of hers before he sat down. With his elbows resting on his knees, he bend forward a bit and looked at his girlfriend, worry written all over his face.

"No, I'm fine. My nose isn't even broken, only bruised. That's a good thing", Cleo smiled weakly. Honestly, she was glad her nose was only bruised. It would take two to three weeks until it would be fully healed again. A broken nose took around seven weeks and was more hurtful. "Are you mad at me, Jax?"

"You can be lucky about that. Looked pretty broken at first sight", the blonde sighed, reaching out to put a hand on her thigh. The worried look was replaced by a confused one. "Why would I be mad at you, babe?"

"Because I hit back and started a fight knowing very well Abel could've came out anytime. It would've confused him to catch his mom and his dad's new girlfriend fighting physically. Maybe I should've been the bigger person but she was driving me mad", the brunette explained with a desperate shrug. "I'm not like this but I'm also not a people pleaser who's letting other's treat me like crap. I did that once in my life and never again."

"Tara asked for it, Cleo. Even if Abel would've seen the two of you fight I would've explained it to him later. You know what I love about you? That you aren't a woman that needs protection or help from a man in every possible situation. Not that I would mind helping but I know you would defend yourself if needed instead of sitting around and whining about shit until I'm back to handle things for you." Jax features softened at first as he heard the insecurity in her even slightly shaking voice but hardened again at her last words. "Who's the person you allowed to treat you like shit?"

Cleo smiled briefly to herself and put a hand over his after setting her cup down at the wooden table. "I'm glad you like this about me 'cause I'm not sure if I could change. Not that I even want to", she admitted honestly while continuing drawing circles on the back of his hand.

The brunette became quiet for a long moment. It was a few moments later when she lifted her head and locked eyes with Jax. "You remember that guy from before outside St. Thomas?", she asked, waiting for him to nod. "That was my ex, the one I gave a little too much power over me in the past. Apparently he's following me on my dad's order since I'm not answering any calls or messages. He wants to know what's going on and Adrian has to do his dirty work as he's working for him since a while."