| ²⁹

Jax' voice was muffled as Cleo stared out of the living room window, pulling her legs tight against her body sucking in a shaky breath

Jax' voice was muffled as Cleo stared out of the living room window, pulling her legs tight against her body sucking in a shaky breath. The brunette felt a sharp pain in her chest and stomach area, probably from the news Jax had just given her.

After calling him for what felt like hundred times and two hours later Jax finally came back home. The moment he walked through the door Cleo knew something bad happened, something that would change their lives forever⸺ and her feelings didn't betray her, she was right.

She honestly expected a lot. At first she assumed he got a call from one of his brothers but he would've said something to her if that would've been the case. It had to be something more upsetting for him to leave without a word to her.

Turns out it was something she wished had never happened.

Her world collapsed in a matter of minutes. How could Gemma do this to them? To her own son? Cleo was drowning in so many different emotions that it felt like her head was going to explode.

Rage and disappointment was at the forefront⸺ but also guilt. Was it her fault Gemma never trusted her? Was it she herself who did something wrong? Sure, Gemma was never a fan of her ties to the Mayans, but that's no reason to hit someone with a car with the intention to kill them.

Maybe she should've tried harder to get on Gemma's good side but that's what she already did. She was never rude towards the older woman or tried to keep her away from Jax or her grandkids. But the moment she noticed Gemma was trying to sabotage her relationship Cleo stopped with her friendliness, which she would've done with everyone. Respect goes both ways⸺ that's what her mother and brother always told her.

Her heart was shattered after hearing the truth, to know it was her own future mother in law who caused the miscarriage. But most of all she felt bad for Jax and the children. Her boyfriend had threatened his mother to kill her, told her she was dead to them. She couldn't even imagine being betrayed like this by her mother. What kind of mother did this to her children?

"Cleo!" Jax shook her by her shoulder, slowly getting worried about her mental absence.

The brunette's breath hitched in her throat, startled from the sudden shaking. After blinking a few times, she turned her head to look at Jax. Her eyes still burning from not blinking for a few minutes.

"I'm sorry", she mumbled, wrapping her arms tighter around her legs. "I got lost in my thoughts."

Jax nodded in understanding as he slowly reached out to put a hand on her forearm. He was still upset and had no idea how to deal with his own emotions, he was sure it was just as hard for her. Especially because no one had expected Gemma and Tara being behind all of this.

"I just need you to say something..anything", he sighed deeply. "I need to know if you can even stay with me, babe."

"Why not?" Her face scrunched up in confusion.