| ²⁷

Lyla and Dawn had just left the Teller house a few minutes ago after they had dinner together

Lyla and Dawn had just left the Teller house a few minutes ago after they had dinner together. As planned, Cleo made quesadillas for everyone and Abel helped like he had promised in the morning. The brunette loved to get Abel help her with cooking⸺ this way she had company and she could teach Abel some things.

She didn't care about other's opinions about teaching a boy how to cook. It wasn't masculine enough for many, but his future girlfriend would probably thank her for it. And Jax assured her many times he had no problem with it. Her brother was a great cook, too, because their mother always made sure to include him. And he still became one of the most respected men in Santo Padre.

Abel's weird reaction when she mentioned Gemma before was still in the back of her mind⸺ it had been the whole day. How did Gemma hurt them? What was it Abel knew and they didn't? She hadn't seen any injuries on Abel's body. The little boy's words made her feel so uneasy that she made sure to check his body while she gave him a quick bath before, see if he had any bruises. Cleo felt absolutely stupid doing that since she couldn't imagine Gemma hurting her grandkids or a child in general⸺ but she still felt the urge to check if Abel had any injuries.

After Lyla and Dawn left, her guilty conscience caught up with her. Although Jax and Gemma's relationship wasn't the greatest at the moment, Cleo felt bad for even considering that she might've hurt Abel.

"Jax, can we talk?", she asked with a sigh after she put the last plates in the cabinet and leaned against the kitchen counter.

"Yeah sure", the blonde, who just entered the kitchen, nodded at the brunette. "What's going on, babe?"

With a heavy heart, she started to tell him what happened in the morning and what Abel had told her. She also admitted that Abel's words unsettled her and that she briefly doubted wether they were true.

"I knew Gemma wouldn't hurt him but I kind of⸺ I don't know. He acted so weird and we both know your mom is not in her right mind at the moment. With all the drinking I was afraid she could've snapped", Cleo sighed as her fingers gripped the edge of the counter. "I'm sorry for even thinking that she could've done such a horrible thing."

Jax listened carefully and let her talk without cutting her off. Tara always tried to talk shit about Gemma and he hated it, but this here was different. Cleo would never say things like that unless she was really scared that there was some truth to it⸺ and Jax couldn't blame her.

His mother changed drastically in the last year. She always disliked Tara, tried to ruin what they had before their relationship turned to shit. He hoped it would be different with Cleo, especially because his new Old Lady did nothing wrong at all. But no, his mother still decided to stick her nose into his new relationship, too. And if Gemma didn't get what she wanted then she became obnoxious, maybe even dangerous.

"Stop apologizing because you were worried about my son." Jax wrapped his arms loosely around her shoulders and looked down at her. "I know you don't want to accuse my mother of anything but you did the right thing, babe. Gemma is so far away from reality at the moment that I would've had doubts, too."