| ²⁸

Jax entered his childhood home with the key he still had

Jax entered his childhood home with the key he still had. It was quiet and at first it seemed like no one was there. But Gemma couldn't be at the clubhouse. With her controlling behavior and her constant nitpicking she shooed them all away.

Sometimes he wondered if it was his fault that his mother became the person she was now. A child pushing their mother away was never a good idea but what was he supposed to do? Let her control his life and relationships? Give her the chance to manipulate him even more? No, that's not what he wanted.

"Mom?", he called out as he slowly walked through the house until he found his mother in the living room and lost in a book.

He startled her when he put a hand on her shoulder, making her look up at him with a hand over her heart. Then a smile formed on her face. The matriarch had no idea why he was here. And she especially didn't think about him finding out about her and Tara's little plan.

"I didn't know you were coming", she said surprised and put her book on the table next to the glass of wine. "Is everyone okay? Cleo, the kids?"

A sigh slipped over his lips as he saw how wasted his mother was once again. Maybe the smell of alcohol wasn't as strong today, but the smell of weed in the air definitely was.

"Don't even ask about her, not after what you did", he said surprisingly calm as he walked around the couch and took a seat on the other couch, one arm resting on the armrest. "I'm here because I want to hear some truth."

"What are you talking about?", Gemma asked dazzled but Jax could tell she was getting nervous.

"Don't", he warned. "Don't lie to me. I'm so sick of all your fuckin' lies, mom."

"I don't know what the hell you want from me, Jackson", the older woman said defensively as she got up to pace around.

"Sit down", the blonde told her in a threatening tone and narrowed his eyes. "Abel told me he saw you in that car only seconds before you hit them. You wanna say my son is lying?"

Gemma's head snapped in her son's direction, a look of terror in her eyes. Once confident, she was now glancing at her son with fear written all over her face as if he would attack her any second.

"I didn't want this", she blurted out as sweat spread out on her forehead while she sat down again, her voice shaking. "You have to believe me, Jax! I never meant to hurt my babies, including my unborn grandchild."

"Your babies? You still can't let it go." A bitter laugh escaped his throat. With a hand running through his beard, he eyed his mother up and down with disgust. "You only mentioned the kids but not Cleo. That means you wanted to hurt her?"

Gemma knew she was trapped, she knew Jax saw through her. Lying would only get her in more trouble.

"Yes", she admitted defended as she sank back into the sofa with the glass of wine which she emptied with just one big sip.