Chapter 49

Chapter 49 The Arrival

When I first possessed the map in my hands, I knew the big responsibility along with it. I've witnessed how Ressa sacrificed herself to protect the map. How she decided to bring the map along with her when she thought that no one has the ability to hold the map as she did.

I wouldn't forget how Ressa's body was burnt together with the map. Ganoon na lang ang matinding pagpapahalaga niya sa relikyang inaasam-asam ng lahat. Queen Leticia told me how important and valuable the map, at mahigpit ko iyong pinanghahawakan bago pa man ako magtungo sa Fevia Attero.

I know that the power of the map would give us information about the different worlds, but the moment I saw that approaching fire and lightning that was about to kill us, it was the only thing that crossed my mind.

It was foolish. I know that my map was not a weapon, but I knew that it was as powerful as the other relics that King Thaddeus provided for the mates of his children. At lalong hindi ko yata kakayanin na ang ipinadalang diwata ni Haring Raheem ay iaalay ang sariling buhay para lang sa akin.

I could accept myself as a sacrifice, but to accept that lives were to sacrifice for my sake? Iyon ang hindi ko papayagan.

Nang tuluyan nang nakalabas ang katawan ko sa malawak na kadilimang iyon na hinahabol nang isang matinding pagsabog, ang nakapikit kong mga mata'y unti-unti nang nagmulat.

"Iris!"

At first, I could only see blurred visions with Tavion's voice that kept calling my name. Until my eyes finally adjusted and the blurred visions turned into familiar figures— shaking figures of the ruin.

I am back!

Nagkamalay na ang totoong katawan ko sa loob nang lumulutang na bilog sa ibabaw ng altar.

"Iris!" sabay na sigaw nina Sierra at Vera na bumalik na sa kanilang maliit na katawan. Agad nila akong niyakap at lumapat ang kanilang katawan sa magkabilang pisngi ko.

Patuloy na sa pagyanig ang lugar na iyon habang nakatingala sa amin sina Tavion, Rosh at Alarik, na mukhang nalilito sa nangyayari.

The thick bubble around my body was melting, giving Tavion, Rosh, and Alarik huge droplets of it. The part of the bubble was thick and sticky, making Rosh complain.

"T-This suit is expensive!"

Hinayaan ko lang matunaw iyon hanggang sa maging ang katawan ko ay sumama na sa pagbagsak sa lupa.

I saw how Tavion tried to catch me, but I landed safely with one of my knees bent, Sierra and Vera on my shoulders, and when I looked up, I gave Tavion, Rosh, and Alarik a small smile on my lips. "I am back."

Sabay ngumiti sina Rosh at Alarik habang tulala sa akin si Tavion. Rosh even gave him a nudge on his side to wake him up from his gaze.

Napahinga nang maluwag si Tavion at mabagal siyang naglakad papalapit sa akin. And this time, he offered his hand, like a prince. "At least, accept my hand?" natatawang sabi niya.

At hinayaan kong alalayan ako ni Tavion na tumayo nang tuwid.

This time, as if the place were starting to circulate around us, the continuous shaking of the ground, the debris and fragments falling in different places, the roaring sounds of unnamed creatures, and the overwhelming power of the fuming old ruin— because for the very first time, a stubborn sacrifice learned to fight.

"Alam kong ako ang nagsabi sa inyong lahat ng ideyang maaari na nating sirain ang tatlong lagusan nang sabay-sabay, ngunit habang nakakulong ako sa kadilimang iyon, tila may pilit bumubulong sa akin na mabuting unahin natin ang lugar na ito."