11| Lana

" Don't cry, Lana, you'll find another job." I sniffled, from catching a cold and crying all together.

" He's so mean."

I regretted saying all those mean things to him but he was right on my neck making it hard to not burst.

I took sips of my warm lemon tea. The sweet scent made me feel better. Not entirely but a bit.

I wiped a lone tear away and turned towards the door. Someone was knocking on the door. It could be the milk man. He came everyday to drop off milk. I fixed my tank top, paired with shorts and stumbled towards the door.

I yanked it open.

" We won't," I paused mid sentence. My eyes dropped out of my sockets, literally.

" Good afternoon, Miss Rhoades." He took off his sunglasses. What was he doing at my house?. He was the last person I was expecting to see.

I looked away.

" It's bad manners to keep a guest outside." I don't know what came over me but a small smile tugged at my lips. His obsession with manners, etiquettes was fascinating.

" Likewise to show up unannounced." I retorted.

" Come in, Mr Campbello." I stepped aside. Our apartment wasn't in the best state. There was a blanket and pillow on the old couch. He didn't seemed to be bothered by it.

" Your neighborhood looks rundown." I pushed the urge to snort. What else was I expecting?.

" Some of us aren't exactly lucky with living like your class." I shrugged a shoulder.

He seemed stiff and very uncomfortable.

" I am sorry." My stomach did something crazy. Was that the fucking butterflies?.

" Mr Campbello," he clenched his jaw, ever slightly. He exhaled.

" Forgive me for what happened last night, could you please return to work?"

Please. Forgive me. All in one sentence by Roxine Campbello?. Someone pinch me.

" You're just messing with me." I chuckled nervously.

He remained serious, unfazed.

" Okay," I trailed off realizing that he wasn't joking. What did someone sprinkle on him?. Maybe he met a witch a his doorstep this morning.
My eyes widened when I spotted spots of sweat on his forehead.

We didn't owe an air conditioner like his. I hastily got the windows so that fresh air could cool the place. He watched me every move before touching his forehead with his fingers.

" You'll get dried instantly, don't worry, I hope you're feeling okay?" I asked out of breath.

He stared at me, weirdly before clearing his throat.

" I am okay. Thank you." I sighed, relief flooding over me.

" So are you coming back?" He questioned, rocking back and forth with his hands back into his pockets.

My eyes ran down to his shirt slightly opened, the trail of hair. I licked my lips. How'd it feel under my fingers.

" Miss Rhoades,"

" Huh, yes, what,?" I looked away shyly. Was I checking him out again?.

What was wrong with me?. He's my boss, not just that. He'd never be attracted to a child. As he called me.

" Will you come back to work?," He repeated.

" Oh, yes, I will. I definitely would." My breath got laboured as my eyes trailed down his body.

" When would," I breathed through my mouth as I watched his veiny arms.

" You like me to urm, come work for you?" His shirt was slightly transparent, probably to avoid sweating.

How the fuck was he body looking like a work of art if he was allergic to sweat. That meant he didn't work out, or did he?.

" Miss Rhoades," my neck snapped up, our eyes locking. I was supposed to mad at him. Making him pay for the cold I was currently suffering from.

" Mr, Campbello," I smiled.

What the hell was I saying?, Why was I so entranced by him. His presence.

" Roxine." He corrected.

My brows lifted effortlessly.

" I am Lana." I swallowed.

He nodded.

" How about you start work tomorrow?" He was so hard to read.

I nodded, " I can, hatchew!"

Thank the God of sneezing because it brought me back to my senses.

" Yes tomorrow."

" Good. Take care of yourself. If you need anything, just," he placed a matte black card on the coffee table.

" Call me, Lana."

I'm nodded, he returned the nod and walked out of our house.

Am I attracted to him?.

Yes.

No I wasn't, maybe it is because I've never actually dated anyone.

The guy I was crushing on in high school never noticed me. No one ever did. I didn't have friends either. My mum was my best friend.