1| Lana

I had just a year to save up in other to apply this year or I could say goodbye to my dream of studying in the university and getting a better job.

My parents were not rich but they had tried their best to put me through high school and now with my dad's sight failing and my mum taking care of him because we couldn't afford a caregiver, I had to work to take care of them and myself

I loved taking care of them, note that.

I had an interview in about two hours. I had applied to a caregiving company, where luckily they called me after reading my crazy letter.

The memory of what I wrote was horrifying.

I helped mum with basic house chores and then headed for my interview. My brown afro textured hair was in the air, as I stuck my head out of the taxi window. I smiled broadly as the sun caressed my face.

I loved the reckless, yet simple things, like skinny dipping at 11pm and stuffing my face with McDonald's at a very ungodly hour. It was nice to be free for a tiny fraction of time.

The building was the tallest. I stumbled in and the receptionist welcomed me warmly and showed me the way to the office of the owner of the place.

I was a ball of nervousness as I clumsily stumbled into the office of the model like woman sitting at her large desk.

She gestured to the chair which I respectfully took, before intertwining my fingers on my leg.

" Good morning, Ma'am." I greeted a fake smile on my face. I could barely take care of myself but I cared for my parents so in a way I was qualified for the position.

" Good morning, Miss Rhoades," she smiled sweetly at me. Her bright green eyes twinkled behind the red framed glasses perched on her perfect nose.

" So I read your letter,"

This is where she says I don't qualify for it.

" And I'm impressed. Honestly I've had many young people come in and make a mess but you are truly dedicated," she smiled proudly.

" Oh, thank you," I tucked my hair away shyly. My chipped red nail polish went well with my brown skin.

" I already have a job for you." That had me lift my head.

" You do?" I almost yell, making her chuckle.

" I have a patient for you, Mr Roxine Campbello, he's fifty and has extreme anger issues." She whispered the last part going through a file on her desk.

Before pushing it towards me, it was a contract for one year.

" He's a very complicated man, he's fired twenty caregivers, the last being two days ago." I nodded.

" I just want to be one hundred truthful with you so you'd know what to expect if you get what I mean?" She raised her perfect brows.

" Yes ma'am I understand,"

" What do you say?, Would you take up the offer?" She smiled.

" You could take a day or two to get back to me" she suggested.

I weighed my choices. I didn't have any, so I picked the pen and signed the contract.

" That was,....fast." she whispered breathily.

" This is a list of meals he eats on a regular." She handed me a paper. All the foods were quite bland to me. Of course maybe he had a health condition. But if he did, she'd tell me. The only health issue was his extreme anger.

" Your first payment of 166,000 has been wired into your account." My jaw dropped. I wasn't expecting that.

" One, what?!" I whisper yelled.

She chuckled, " This is a special offer, you're being offered, two million dollars for a year."

" Two fucking what?!"

" Is this some sort of human trafficking, scheme?" I couldn't recognize my voice.

" Goodness Miss Rhoades, it's not, everything will be transferred by the end of the year, since it's on a  monthly basis. Get on the good side of Mr Campbello, and you'll get a bonus of one million, dollars."

That could solve all my problems.

We could get a descent place, I'd be able to go to college and achieve my dreams.

" I really appreciate this ma'am, I won't disappoint you." I smiled broadly.

" I sure hope so," she gave me her million dollar smile.