Chapter 41: Words From A Father

"Father," I spoke with a smile as I ran to where he stood, embracing him.

"Saruto," he smiled warmly.

Pulling away from him, I looked at his appearance to see that he was young, as he was as a child. Then at my own appearance, I saw that we were the same age. We looked like we were when we were both sixteen.

My father had the Kama on his right arm, which when activated, glowed blue and covered part of his hand and right side of his body. He wore a belt with noticeably shorter black pants, and regular shinobi sandals, and a cloak. On his forehead, which his blond hair draped over, my grandfather's forehead protector. My father is seen before me wearing a small black rubber band around his left ankle and a similar black rubber band around his left wrist. Like my memories, he had a scar of his left eye that mirrored my own, stretching onto his forehead protector. On his jacket underneath his cloak was dark pink stripes. Beneath the jacket, which he left unzipped, he wore a white t-shirt and a bolt tied to a string about his neck. As he looked towards the sky, his blue eyes and blonde hair glinting in the rays of light, I saw a dark pink Uzumaki clan symbol on the back of his jacket.

"Walk with me, Saruto," he asked as he began to walk around the rows of grass beneath our feet.

Nodding, I caught up to him, walking shoulder to shoulder.

"How is your mother?" he questioned.

I smiled as the memories of her appearance crossed my mind.

"Good," I spoke shortly.

He smiled as put his hands in pockets, the chain around his waist rattling in the wind.

"Father-" I spoke urgently and then calmed down, "I have a daughter. I wish you could've met her."

Suddenly, he stopped walking and then turned to meet my sad gaze.

"I have met her," he smiled, "I have met all of them."

Widening my eyes, I remembered that Kiyomi and my descendant were destined to have my power. With the same abilities, they could speak to the dead and those that had passed onto the afterlife.

"I see," I blushed.

There was a moment of silence as I felt the wind fill my black hair.

"She's beautiful," he remarked as knelt down to grab a cherry blossom petal from the grass.

I then smiled as I sat on the grass and looked over a land of sky. From the patch of grass that we stood on, we were surrounded by clouds and blue sky. It was beautiful.

Sitting next to me, I watched as he brushed cherry blossoms off his body. We sat in silence as we took in the beautiful sights. It was like heaven.

"Saruto, I need you to do something for me," he spoke, blushing embarrassed.

"Anything, father," I croaked.

Smiling, he turned to me, "Tell your mother that I love and miss her everyday."

My eyes widened as I began to truly understand their love. Even when separated by death, they still longed and loved each other.

I then remembered Shikadami and the way she made me feel. My family. I would do anything for them.

"Yes, father," I smiled.

Reciprocating his thanks, he looked back to the sky and sighed in relief.

"Did it hurt?" I spoke hesitantly.

Looking back to me, he knew exactly what I had meant. Pulling his arms back to support his nonchalantly position. He clenched his eyes before returning to me.

"No," he sighed warmly.

With his single words, I felt at peace. Years of wondering about that question from the day he died, I had become obsessed with death. But not anymore. I felt finally at peace knowing that his passing was without pain. That he didn't hurt to leave the mortal plane.

Suddenly, his body began to glow and I parted him knowing that this wasn't the last time I would see him. I did not mourn the parting. Just felt at peace.

As his body transformed into hundreds of cherry blossom petals, I watched as he joined the wind, flying away, peacefully.

"Good bye, father," I spoke, finally getting the closure I needed.