Chapter 6: The Sirens of War

"Saruto!" I heard an urgent voice call from command tents that lay on the outskirts of the village.

Turning around, I was met with Shikadami. Her soft features were plagued with worry as she caught up to me. She embraced me with a comforting hug as she grabbed the back of my head to stroke my hair.

"I heard," she said, saddened.

I frowned as I dug my face into her shoulder. She smelled like fresh gardenias.

"I'm so sorry," she spoke again.

Moments passed before we pulled away from each other. I acknowledged her sympathies for the loss of my grandmother. I then remembered that her great-uncle Kankuro was there as well.

"Shikadami-"

"I know," she said sadly.

There was a long silence as we stood in our thoughts and then my face lit up.

"Is Kiyomi-" I spoke before she was quick to calm me.

"She's with Inojou's family," she frowned.

My eyes lit up as I thought about his family. Shikadami must've told them.

"And how are they?"

Shikadami then hid her gaze as she stared at the ground, saddened.

"Aunt Sumire is hysterical," she said trying to hold back her feelings, "Granny Ino, Old Man Sai, and Uncle Inojin don't know yet. They were sent to the Hidden Mist to organize the Intelligence Division there. I told her that I would find them and tell them if she wanted me too. But she told me that she had to tell them."

"I see..." I spoke thinking about them, then suddenly my eyes widened as I looked urgently to her," And Kyurei! Does she-"

My cousin, Inojou's half-sister. Even though they were siblings and from the outside it seemed like they were annoyed by each other, they were best friends. They grew up close so I knew she wouldn't take the news well.

"She doesn't know," Shikadami spoke softly.

I then realized.

"I heard during the Kage Summit that my mother and her division were deployed to the coast due to suspicious activity. Kyurei was one of her captains so I'm sure she's with her along with Aunt Hima and Asami. But I have this feeling..."

"The Otsutsuki..." Shkadami interjected.

Spending all those years in the past, Shikadami became more aware and well educated with my abilities. I had learned that I have this sixth sense to sense Otsutsuki anywhere in this universe.

I nodded is assurement.

"Then it's a trap," Shikadami concluded.

I nodded again as I flagged down a shinobi that was transporting medical supplies from a medical tent. We were at war, the entire village was preparing to march on the Hidden Sand. My grandfather had already ordered Lord Shinki and any remaining members of his division to be the first responders. They had only left moments ago. The attack against the Hidden Sand was probably a trap as well.

"Lord Saruto..." the shinobi bowed, baffled by my attention to him.

"I need you to notify the Hokage's advisor, Shikamaru Nara, immediately that the Third and Fourth Divisions are walking into a trap at the coast and Hidden Sand."

The shinobi stood there baffled with the information I had just told him.

"Immediately!" I spoke with more urgency and the shinobi scrambled before running in the direction of the strategic allegiance building.

As I watched him run off, I immediately started to walk towards the communication tent.

"Where are you going?" Shikadami spoke with curiosity.

Turning back to Shikadami, I gave her a serious and determined look.

"I need to notify my uncle," I spoke confidently, "We are going to need all the help we can get."

I smiled, having one thought in my head.

Shikadami then walked to me and then looked up. She leaned close to my face as she stood on her tip-toes. She knew exactly what I was doing. Kissing me on the lips, I embraced her back.

Suddenly, there was a war siren that echoed loudly through the village. Shinobi of all five villages began to swarm the streets going to their own ordered destinations. It was the siren of war. This meant that Shikamaru had gotten my message and the urgency to race after SHinki's division to the front was all the more urgent. I knew that Shikadami and I would be separated as she was assigned to join up with mother, grandmother, and brother with Shinki's division immediately.

Running towards us was her grandmother, Lady Temari, the sister of the Kazekage, as well as Shikadai and Shikadan.

"Shikadami," Temari ordered strongly.

Shikadami then turned back to me and smiled softly. I rubbed her palm as she looked back at me one last time. I nodded letting her know that I loved her.

She then flashed away in a second along with her family heading to the Hidden Sand. I knew that with the Fifth Shinobi War initiating, Kiyomi and Inojou's sister, Inoji, would be sent to my grandmother, Hinata, to be watched over. Aunt Sumire was our Chief Scientist and had duties to fulfill. I wouldn't trust anyone else to watch my daughter. I wish that I could say good-bye to Kiyomi but we were at war. I knew that I would see her again.

Looking towards the communications tent, I remembered where I needed to go.

We needed Kawaki Uzumaki.