Chapter 33: Our Son

"The winner is," the announcer spoke, his voice carrying through the arena, "Saruto Uzumaki-Uchiha!"

Cheers roared through the Chunin Exam arena. Looking around, I saw a spectator from every image looking down from their seats in a large uproar. Next to me, Boruto was up from his seat as he raised his fist in the air, proud of our son. I smile to see him so enthusiastic about our son defeating the Yukari Tsuyoi of the Hidden Sand.

Yukari was a strong shinobi from the Hidden Sand coming from a noble clan heritage. She was considered a prodigy for her generation. As Saruto's senior, it was amazing how he was able to defeat her.

Looking down at my son, his small stature as a child, he seemed overjoyed as his top status in the results of the Finals. I then frowned, understanding what this meant. With Lord Seventh's approval, he would become a Chunin. But he was so young. He was only 9-years-old. Would this mean that he would lose his childhood?

After the events of the Chunin exams, we found ourselves in the Hokage's office. I looked to Lord Seventh as he presented Saruto with a Chunin jacket.

"Good job, Saruto," Lord Seventh spoke proudly as he rubbed his grandson's head.

I smiled nervously before looking at Boruto. My eyes widened to see he was frowning but as Saruto turned to face him with a wide smile on his face, Boruto's demeanor changed to something more benevolent.

What were you thinking about Boruto?

Back out of our home, I began to clean up from our dinner. Glancing at Boruto from the corner of my eye as he sat silently at the dinner table. He seemed distressed in his own thoughts. With everything happening so fast after the Chunin Exams, we next got a chance to talk. Alone.

"Hey, Mom! Dad!" Saruto waved as he scrambled to get his sandals on, "I am going to go hangout with big sis, Kyurei, and big bro, Kemono!"

As he dove his head down with excitement on his face as he started to the door, I turned to see him.

"Be back by 22:00 hours," I yelled out to him as he ran out the door.

"Ok!" he gleefully responded before disappearing into the night.

Suddenly, the house was silent. Too silent.

Setting a plate down in the sink, I walked over to where Boruto sat. He seemed in his own thoughts as I approached from behind, wrapping my arms around him. Then laid a soft kiss on his blonde hair, stroking it back.

"What's on your mind, Babe?" I wondered as I played and began to braid his hair.

"Nothing," he said, defeated as he pulled away from me and placed his head in his head.

Shocked, knowing that he was keeping something from me, I walked around the table and sat across from him. Still not acknowledging me, I grabbed his hands gently and began to rub the top of his hands.

"Boruto," I said softly, "Look at me."

Lifting his head from his hands, he looked at me, saddened.

He frowned as he looked onto me with his sky-blue eyes. I felt my heart weaken to see him like this.

"You can tell me anything," I spoke sympathetically.

He then proceeded to bite his inner lip, before finally caving.

"Are we taking away his childhood?" he spoke saddeningly.

I then smiled as I interlocked our fingers.

"He is strong," I said in confidence, "Do you know why I know that?"

Confused, he looked at me with longing eyes. Longing for my answers, unsure as to what it was.

"Because he is our son," I smiled.

He then blushed and hid his gaze. Pulling his hands toward me, I called for his attention again.

"Boruto..." I spoke in a longing gaze.

"I know, I know, it's just..."

"You're just worried," I sympathesized, "that's a parent's job. To worry."

"But what if!" he contested but I was quick to respond.

"But what if he becomes a strong shinobi that can protect this village and become a hero in the hearts of every person he meets?" I remarked.

His eyes then widened before hanging his head down. Still saddened by the thoughts that raced through his head.

I wouldn't admit it but I also feared for the possibility of Saruto being on the frontlines of our village's military, that he wouldn't be ready for the burden that came with it. But I had to hold hope that he could overcome every obstacle that he faced. With how much he was progressing as a shinobi, I knew that he would be a jonin in no time. He was like any shinobi that I had seen. He was a prodigy and everyone around me reminded me that. But the truth was that he would grow to be stronger than me, Boruto, my father, and even Lord Seventh. He was a boy that had so much potential for greatness and immensense power. I just had to have faith that we will be there by his side, helping him get through that every step of the way.

As I stared at Boruto, I remembered our past and all the hardships that we had to overcome. I knew that hardships lied in Saruto's future. But I knew that as long as he kept his family, friends, and comrades in his heart and by his side...

He could overcome anything.

"Our son will grow up to be a fine shinobi."