Chapter 69

Madelaina:

When consciousness returns to me, the first thing my brain communicates is just what I'd been hoping for the night before.

He's here.

I feel the strength of his arm around my waist and the heat radiating from his body behind me. I can smell his woodsy scent and feel his breaths on the back of my neck.

A smile works it's way onto my face and I melt further into him.

He seems to be in a deep sleep because time ticks by without so much as a stir out of him.

I manoeuvre my way onto my back and then turn another time, our chests now pressed together. I lift my leg, hooking it over his hip and suppress a gasp when he readjusts his arm to our new position, holding me tighter.

I reach up with my hand and brush a few strands of hair out of his eyes, then start to trace his features lightly with my fingers.

He looks so peaceful like this. So youthful.

When my fingertips brush over his lips, he kisses them but still doesn't open his eyes.

"You're awake." I whisper.

His answer is a deep hum that sets loose a swarm of butterflies in my stomach.

"Are you still tired? Do you want to go back to sl-"

He cuts me off by grabbing my hand and flinging it over his shoulder. Then, he reaches down to curl his hand around my inner thigh before pulling me right on top of him. He wraps his arm around my waist and his other cradles my head as he buries his own in my neck, holding me tight.

I laugh and settle into the position, kissing his head.

"I missed you." He breathes. Although, it's soft and muffled so I nearly don't hear it.

"You did?"

"So fucking much."

"I missed you, too."

"Yeah?"

"Yes."

"I was so angry while I was there. I still feel like they deserve worse."

"I know." I sigh and then take a minute before speaking again. "Thank you."

"Don't thank me."

"I'll thank you if I want to thank you."

He chuckles and then rolls us over so that he's the one on top and pins my arms above my head.

"You really want to show me attitude, right now?"

My lips part and heat pools below my stomach when I feel him beneath his boxers, brushing the apex of my thighs.

"What are you going to do about it?"

His mouth twists into a wicked smirk and he places a single kiss onto my forehead before showing me exactly that.

In the evening, our families both decided that we should go out for dinner.

A few hours after that, the dessert plates are being cleared away out of the private room when my father clears his throat.

"So."

Oh no. He's using his business voice.

Then, he turns his head to face my boyfriend.

Never mind, he's using his overprotective dad voice.

That's actually even scarier.

"Lucas."

"Yes." Luca raises a brow as he looks right at papa.

"You are now dating my daughter, correct."

Not a question. A statement that sounds threatening in all ways of the word.

"I am."

My father nods. "And you understand the consequences that will occur if you ever hurt her."

I try and get my mother's attention but she just gives me a sly smile before continuing on with the show.

"There will be no consequences. Given that I would sooner rip out my own heart than ever hurt your daughter."

My cheeks heat and I search the room, only to find both of the moms smiling ear to ear and the little ones gazing at Luca with tasteful curiosity.

Stefano is grinning at his son like he's an accomplishment of his own making and papa..

Is nodding with approval.

"Good man."

My boyfriend turns to me and locks his eyes with mine. Pride and smugness shining through his and I think to myself with forthcoming excitement.

No. Definitely not a good man.

But mine nonetheless.