Chapter 61

Madelaina:

"So, what do you think they're up to?"

We've been browsing through random stores at the mall for nearly two hours now and this topic of conversation has finally arrived.

They've been gone for only two days now but the not knowing of what they're doing peaks my curiosity much more than needed.

And my worry.

"I have no idea." I huff as we exit Cartier.

"I'm trying to coax it out of Angel. I almost had him last night."

"Did he reveal anything?"

"Not really. Just said that he and the boys were dealing with some business. Nothing to concern my pretty little head over." She uses air quotes on that last statement, followed by a dramatic roll of her eyes.

"You know." I muse, watching her pick up a Chanel lipstick and inspecting the shade. "I'm still surprised you haven't admitted to being his girlfriend yet."

She pauses, the tube an inch from her lips before she turns to me. "I haven't admitted it because I'm not."

"Liar."

"What? Because you're in an adorable relationship now, I have to be in one too?"

"Yes!" I take the lipstick from her hand and begin applying it to her lips. "Exactly. He makes you so happy and before you argue with me, I can tell. Besides, wouldn't it be cute for us both to be in adorable relationships?"

I shift her so she can look in the mirror and she takes a moment but then lifts her chin defiantly.

"Well, I certainly won't be admitting it to him in the near future. Not when he got onto a plane and hardly even told me where he was going."

"Luca did that too." I point out.

"Yeah, but you've already established yourselves. And I bet he'll tell you everything as soon as they're back."

"Won't Angel?"

She scoffs. "No idea. He's got this weird thing about keeping stuff from me for my own protection. Whatever that means."

"Well if that's the case, maybe he has a reason? But if you're not happy with it, you should tell him how you feel."

"Why should I?"

"You can't be stubborn, Thea. Otherwise things will never get solved."

She links her arm with mine as we move over to the perfume ranges, as if either of us needs more. Of any of these things, for that matter.

But what's a girl got to do?

"Please. You're just as stubborn as me."

"But we handle our stubbornness differently. You can't avoid things like this. I know you're afraid of getting hurt but if you don't face it then you'll only be hurting yourself. And your relationship with him. Talk to him before you convince yourself otherwise."

She doesn't answer for a few minutes. Lost in her own thoughts and swirling emotions. But eventually, she blows out a breath and pouts her lips.

"Fine. You're such a good friend, it's disgusting.""  She groans.  "But he's not allowed anywhere near my bed until this is over."

"If I recall correctly, you two hardly require a bed for that."

A burst of laughter escapes her and she leans into me.

"I hate you."