Chapter 8

Madelaina :

The sun dimly shines through the gap in my curtains as I lie awake.

I was fine last night, spending the ball alone. Just like I normally am. But there was a small difference this time.

People were talking. Talking about me. About Lucas. About the dance we shared.

It barely lasted four minutes yet they still wouldn't stop.

I almost walked right out of there.

I hated it.

The way people looked at me. Not that they did in a bad way, at least most of them. But the fact that they were looking at me at all.

I felt comfortable in my own company, in my own space. Invisible. But last night I was anything but.

My hands were shaking so badly I had to hide them behind my back and in my skirts. There was a time where I thought I was going to have a full blown panic attack.

But like I said, I was fine.

I survived and nothing bad happened.

Just like always.

After I got my drink Lucas didn't look at me again. But that doesn't mean I didn't look at him. No. I watched him after that. Observed him, how he held himself, how he talked with other people and how he reacted to them while they talked and when they walked away.

Not for the whole four more hours I was there obviously. I'm not a stalker. But just enough time that I could add that to my own encounters and perceptions of him and come to a conclusion.

And that conclusion, is that Lucas Agosti is an arrogant, narcissistic, stereotypical high born prick.

And I'm sure that whole thing with the glass of water was not an innocent, kind gesture. Not an ulterior motive either. To mess with me perhaps. But why?

All I know is that I don't like those kinds of people. The ones that are prideful and believe themselves are better than others. That think they are untouchable.

And from what I can tell, he is that kind of person.

His friend certainly fit into that category, despite the initial charm.

I know I'm being judgemental and rash but I've dealt with these kinds of people before. I know the signs.

And I won't put myself in a position like that again.

Knocking me out of my thoughts, Salem jumps onto the bed.

I stroke her midnight fur and watch as she gets comfortable next to me.

My father got her for me a few months ago as a gift. Well, I say a gift, more like a "I got you this kitten as a present for you because I love you and knew you wanted one, oh and also we are moving far away and will be leaving behind your childhood home" kind of thing.

But I am grateful nonetheless. Little did he know I was actually glad we were moving away.

Not that I told him that though. Not will I.

Getting out of bed, I walk over to the windows and move aside the curtains, looking out into the morning.

I open one of them to let in a small breeze and lean onto the windowsill.

The sun is out again in comparison to last nights rain. The weather has left a damp morning dew to linger in the air, leaving behind the strong smell of wet grass and flowers.

I close my eyes and breathe it in as the wind picks up and blows my hair away from my face.

Tucking a few strands behind my ear, I continue looking around the lush open field, when my eyes catch on the windows opposite of mine. Or should I say, the person looking out of them.